• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Holy Crap....has it been THAT long?!

wontgrowup

CEG'er
Hey peeps! I figured I'd troll in here and see how everyone is doing, as well as hoping someone might have some experience with a car I'm looking at.....Jaguar X Type.

I'm going to sell my Subaru "unicorn" my Forester XT to my son Colin. For those old timers here, I'm sure you remember little Colin coming with me to all the meets we had back in the day, right? Well, I just found out "Little Colin" is going too be a Daddy and, yours truly will be Grandpa Chris.....yikes.

For those curious about the Forester, it was dyno tuned last year to the tune of 255 who and 315 wtq....which I think is pretty damned impressive for a stock TD04 turbo! Speaking of which, I'm wondering how different a supercharger/turbo install would be over an SVT?

Btw Elky, Colin had an old video of you doing your famous Tongue Trick.....absolutely hysterical!

Thanks for any input you guys have....Big shout out to Greg for talking to me about the X Type tonight....appreciated Bro!

Kids grow up way too fast. Although I can't have kids, I do work with them, and it is like overnight, they get big.

Installing the turbo/supercharger shouldn't be that difficult, if you pay attention to the details.

The only problem with our platform is space to put everything. These kits are hard to find as well.

There are many posts on Turbo installs on this site. If you plan on going this route save up until you can do forged rods at the very least, otherwise you will be replacing engines every 6 months.

Mine made 363 HP at the wheels before on 10 lbs of boost. With forged rods and pistons and higher boost it makes significantly more, and I don't worry about it blowing up.

The only problem with our platform is space to put everything. These kits are hard to find as well.

There are many posts on Turbo installs on this site. If you plan on going this route save up until you can do forged rods at the very least, otherwise you will be replacing engines every 6 months.

Mine made 363 HP at the wheels before on 10 lbs of boost. With forged rods and pistons and higher boost it makes significantly more, and I don't worry about it blowing up.

Wow. Great numbers don! I put down 330 at 9 psi with my forged internals. What did u put down after your build?

I have not tuned it yet, I am in California for 5 months so it will sit in my garage in Illinois until I return in late March. My son takes it out every month or so to keep it happy. Once I am back we will see what it does. I know it has far more power because it spins the tires in 3rd gear and it never did that before. It is a beast when you open it up.

One thing I did to calm it down was put in a 3.5 gear ratio. I would suggest that for everyone with a 3.0 turbo, the 4.06 ratio makes the car impossible to drive when you double the stock HP.

I have not tuned it yet, I am in California for 5 months so it will sit in my garage in Illinois until I return in late March. My son takes it out every month or so to keep it happy. Once I am back we will see what it does. I know it has far more power because it spins the tires in 3rd gear and it never did that before. It is a beast when you open it up.

One thing I did to calm it down was put in a 3.5 gear ratio. I would suggest that for everyone with a 3.0 turbo, the 4.06 ratio makes the car impossible to drive when you double the stock HP.
Hmm. I always spun in third gear, so there's been no difference. Plus, going with forged internals doesn't generally add power. It only allows the tuner to be able to go more aggressive on the tuning because the engine will be able to handle it. So i kinda expected the numbers to be in the same vicinity pre-forged build. Mine was about 15-17hp more post stock rods n pistons. And you're right about the gear ratio upgrade. My car isn't that easy to drive. Maybe down the road. No plans to pull that engine for a tranny swap anytime soon. lol. Sorry for the hijack OP. Welcome back. What year xtype are you lookn at?

Hmm. I always spun in third gear, so there's been no difference. Plus, going with forged internals doesn't generally add power. It only allows the tuner to be able to go more aggressive on the tuning because the engine will be able to handle it. So i kinda expected the numbers to be in the same vicinity pre-forged build. Mine was about 15-17hp more post stock rods n pistons. And you're right about the gear ratio upgrade. My car isn't that easy to drive. Maybe down the road. No plans to pull that engine for a tranny swap anytime soon. lol. Sorry for the hijack OP. Welcome back. What year xtype are you lookn at?

Mine would spin the tires in 3rd gear easily with the old trans ratio, now it just hazes them in 3rd gear. The reason it makes more power now is I can run 13 - 15 lbs of boost, instead of 8 - 10. The engine actually makes less power at lower boost levels because the compression ratio is down about a point. You loose a bit of low end torque but gain 50 HP on the top.

Back to the OP's post...

Back