• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

NEED clutch and install

Maverick937

New CEG'er
my usual mechanic told me that the job was to much for him. what does it take to replace a clutch in my svt? i have never done clutch work but i do all my own maintenance. i have a 98.5 svt with a normal 2.5 in it. i havnt bought a clutch yet any suggestions on what i should get or on how to do it. thanks!!!!

Figure a shop to charge around $1,000 to do it. My shop replacement cost about that 5 years ago. He did break my radiator and paid for that himself.
Parts can be cheap. The classifieds has a Luk for $100.

If you are handy the work isn't too bad. It's basically the same as doing a 3L swap. The engine and trans come out together. You take the trans off the engine when it is out of the car. Read about peoples 3L swaps will tell you what is involved. I have taken one out the bottom and one out the top when doing engine or transmission work. Either way worked for me. Out the top avoids having to work with the cradle bolts that can rust in place.

Thanks! i was talking to some people and it might not be the clutch. my clutch puddle is just kind of dangling giving me no resistance at all. i had my doubts because my clutch grabbed fine the day before but when i went out to it that morning the peddle just went straight to the floor and the car still started it just wont go into gear? i was thinking clutch cable or slave cylinder?

sounds like a something is wrong with the hydraulic system, usually the slave cyl. is the culprit and if that is the case it usually leaks out most of the brake fluid. If the slave cyl is out the trans has to come off and it is likely brake fluid got on the clutch and can be very corrosive. If the mileage is high most people would take the opportunity to replace the clutch if the trans has to be removed.

Back