• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Where to buy California legal cats?

ValCor

CEG'er
It appears as if one of my cats is clogged causing the back pressure to pop off one of the hoses to my DPFE. Where are you guys getting replacement cats from? Thanks!

It was indeed my main cat that was clogged. We gutted it and replaced the hose to the DPFE and my car runs like new once again. The hose cost me $1.40 at O'Reilly. Of course I am now illegal but I just passed smog and have some time to fix it before I'm due again.

As long as you're passing Cali emissions without the main converter, I'd leave it alone. You may eventually get a cat efficiency code for the gutted main cat, and that will keep you from passing emissions if they see a MIL and stored code.

I've bought cat converters from Magnaflow, they have 49 state, Cali and New York units, universal and direct fit. The seem to be high quality units. California cats have a higher loading of catalytic metals than 49 state cats, which is part of their higher price, and according to a tech I spoke with at at Magnaflow, it's best not to use them on highly modified engines (aftermarket forced induction), as the extra load of catalytic metals and extra unburned fuel from F.I. will cause them to run too hot.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02converters.asp

You may eventually get a cat efficiency code for the gutted main cat, and that will keep you from passing emissions if they see a MIL and stored code.

There's no cat monitor on that one; only on the two manifold cats. No MIL = no problem!

Great! Thanks everyone for all of your input. I've learned a LOT a lot about our exhaust system during all of this. I drove her on my normal commute this morning and she was as agile as ever. The idle is dead on and I should complete a drive cycle at any time now; no CEL so far. I was puzzled a bit because she just passed smog a couple of months ago. Good thing she passed smog before popping the hose! Whew! Did I get lucky? Now I know that it is the pre-cats that matter most and they are still working. For once I did not have to break the bank for the repair. And, I don't have to drive the Big old Chevy Tahoe anymore!!!!

Back