• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wheel/Tire size FAQ Read Here First

Goumba

Hard-core CEG'er
It is very common for people to ask what wheel and/or tire and type size they use for their particular application. Most of the time the answer has been asked and answered already. This is an effort to give everyone as many answers and possibilities when it is time to make the correct purchase decision.

15"- A lot of non-SVT cars came with 15 inch wheels. Some of the SE's came with wider 15X6.5 wheels. The stock tire size for the stock 15 inch wheels is 205/60/15. If a wider size is desired, 225/50/15 will work also. This size is less common, and there isn't many true performance tires in this size. The benefits of running 15 inch wheels and tires is mostly economy. 15 inch tires can be had for typically less than $60 a piece. The 15 inch wheel and tire combo is light, and skinnier tires have less rolling resistance. This offers better fuel economy. Also, there are many snow tires available in the 15 inch size so it makes it a desirable choice for a winter wheel/tire combo.

16"- The SVT model came with 16X6.5 wheels equipped with 205/55/16 tires, and later with 215/50/16's. The later size is now rare. A popular tire size for the stock SVT wheel is 225/50/16. IT fits perfectly on the wheel, and typically has very little or no rubbing issues.
If you have aftermarket 16X7 wheels, the 225/50/16 tire will work well on them also as long as the offset is in the 42-45mm range. There are many performance tires available in the 225 size.

17"- The contour was never available With a 17 inch wheel from the factory. However, 17X7 inch wheels with a 42-49mm offset work very well on a contour. When paired with 215/45/17 or 225/45/17 tires, there is typically very little to no rubbing issues. Different struts and ride hight will have to be considered if rubbing is suspected to be an issue. Running anything wider than 225mm tires on a 7 inch wide wheel is typically not a good idea. Unless certain looks are desired, wider tires will not offer any benefit unless rim width is increased. If a 7.5 or 8 inch wide wheel is going to be used, special care is going to need to used when trying to clear the fenders. They are the correct size wheels to use if you are considering a 235/40/17 tire. It is possible to run 245's, but anyone using that size on a contour better have enough know how to not need a FAQ to tell them how to make it work properly.

18"- This is where performance starts to end and "good looks" begin. Unless you have a car that's so fast that you need to have 330+mm brakes and you need a wheel to clear the calipers, an 18 inch wheel will provide no extra benefit. That doesn't mean you can't have the wheels that you think make your car look better. Many 18 inch wheels are 7 or 7.5 inches wide. It is important to get the correct offset so that you don't rub your ties on your struts or fenders. For the 7 inch wide wheel, 42-47mm is a safe rage. For a 7.5 inch wide wheel, your starting to push your luck. With a little bit of fender rolling, 42-45 mm of offset should land you close. The tires best suited for a 18 inch wheel is 215/40/18 or 225/40/18. These two sizes will give the least amount of fitment issues if any.

19"-Copied and pasted, thanks to Tex. You can run 225/35-19 and some 235/35-19. Most of the people on here with 19's (four that I can think of) seem to have Axis wheels which are a 19x8 with a 45 mm offset (I think), so I would say that no less than a 225 width is appropriate, or you'll be stretching to meet the rim. BeyondloadedSE ran 235's on his 19's, but I'm not sure that I could fit those on my car without some 3mm spacers or so.

Performance Tires

In the first category of performance tires is the ultimate tires with a D.O.T. approval. These are also referred to as "R" compound tires. Extreme performance gains can be had with these tires. R compound tires were never intended to be used on the street every day as daily driven tire. They often(depending on the model) do extremely poorly in the rain and wear out at a very rapid pace. Most are basically a racing slick with two grooves around the circumference. Some have very shallow tread and are intended to be used unshaved as a intermediate rain tire.
Offerings in the R compound category include

BF Goodrich R1
bfg_gforce_r1_ci2_1.jpg

Khumo Ecsta V710
ku_ecsta_v710_ci2_l.jpg

Yokohama A048
yo_advan_a048_ci2_l.jpg

Hoosier A6/R6
Nitto NT-01
Toyo R888
Hankook Z214
Pzero Corsa
Michilan Pilot Sport Cup

Street tires are split up into many categories. The highest performance category of the street tire is the street touring or extreme performance summer category. These tire are one step below a R compound tire, and yield performance gains nearly as big. Unlike R compound tires, street tires are suitable for every day use and in the rain. Extreme performance summer tires get very hard in cold temperatures and are dangerous in the snow and ice.
Offerings in the street touring/Extreme performance summer tire category include
Bridgestone RE-01R(discontinued) and
RE-11R
bs_potenza_re11_ci2_l.jpg

Dunlop Direzza Z1 Start Spec
du_dir_spt_z1_starspec_ci2_l.jpg

Hankook Rs-2/Z212(about to be discontinued)
RS-3/Z222
hk_ventusrs3_ci2_l.jpg

Khumo Ecsta MX
Ecsta XS
ku_ecsta_xsku36_ci2_l.jpg

Yokohama AD07 and AD08
Nitto NT05
Federal 595RS
Toyo R1R
Bf Goodrich KD
Falken Azenis RT-615

There are many more good tires out there. Most at this point are just "Performance Oriented." Notable very good summer tires in this catagory are the Yokohama S Drive, Bridgestone RE-50, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, Sumitomo HTRZ III, Continental Sport Contact 2 and 3, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, and BF Goodrich KDW. The last two have been known to be equally as fast as some street touring tires in the rain.
Lesser performance oriented summer tires are more common due to their ability to last longer before needing to be replaced. Tires that typically fit into this category are the BF Goodrich G-Force Sport, Dunlop Direzza DZ101, Fuzion ZRi, General Exlaim UHP, Kumho Ecsta SPT, and the Sumitomo HTR Z II.
Many all season tires are starting to provide decent dry traction, while providing good wet, cold and most of the time decent light snow traction. The tires in this category are not a good choice for ice.

This is the first draft. If there is anything that I need to add or correct, Please let me know. I will update this original post as things change over time to try to keep this as accurate as possible.

Last edited:
19" Information

19" Information

You can run 225/35-19 and some 235/35-19. Most of the people on here with 19's (four that I can think of) seem to have Axis wheels which are a 19x8 with a 45 mm offset (I think), so I would say that no less than a 225 width is appropriate, or you'll be stretching to meet the rim. BeyondloadedSE ran 235's on his 19's, but I'm not sure that I could fit those on my car without some 3mm spacers or so.

I'd like to see the "rest" have more detail, as this is the section that 90%+ of the forum will be interested in. Very nice write-up overall though.

I updated, fixed, and added a little to the original post. Please feel free to let me know what you would like to see changed and added. It can only make the sticky better.
I'd like to see the "rest" have more detail, as this is the section that 90%+ of the forum will be interested in. Very nice write-up overall though.
I added a little more. Regular tires are not really my thing. I always buy the cheapest tires in the size I need for the street. I have racing tires for racing, and everything else is just a street tire to me. If you have any ideas, or you would like me to add something specific, please let me know.

Is there a readily available list off common aluminum rims that fit the 4-bolt Contour pattern with the correct offset? I know Focus rims work, but what about Chevy Cobalt and other 4-lug designs?

Is there a readily available list off common aluminum rims that fit the 4-bolt Contour pattern with the correct offset? I know Focus rims work, but what about Chevy Cobalt and other 4-lug designs?
very uncomon bolt pattern. i dont think anything other than the focus and cougar really can be thrown on with similar offsets etc.

How about using 195/60 R15s on a Mercury Mystique LS instead of the stock 205/60 R15s, those are easier to find and cheaper too. Any problem with using a slightly narrower tire?:shrug:

How about using 195/60 R15s on a Mercury Mystique LS instead of the stock 205/60 R15s, those are easier to find and cheaper too. Any problem with using a slightly narrower tire?:shrug:

plug the numbers into a tire size calculator and find out. but honestly I don't see that stock size being to hard to find, plus you can get performance all season in that size for around ~$70 a tire which isn't bad at all ihmo ....

I just mounted 225/50 16's on my stock E1's and they rubbed. I forgot to take into consideration that my car is lowered on Eibachs. I had to go back to 205/55 16's cause even the 215's were close. Just don't want anyone else to make the same mistake when choosing tire sizes.

I just mounted 225/50 16's on my stock E1's and they rubbed. I forgot to take into consideration that my car is lowered on Eibachs. I had to go back to 205/55 16's cause even the 215's were close. Just don't want anyone else to make the same mistake when choosing tire sizes.

I have used the same size on a lower setting than the prokits allow without any issues. I have also rolled my fenders with a baseball bat. It's not a mistake to run 225's on a contour. You just may need to do a little fender rolling.

What tires did you go with? Price? if you don't mind. I'm looking before winter.

I went with Bridgestone G019 all seasons. I had the G009's before that but they're discontinued.

I have used the same size on a lower setting than the prokits allow without any issues. I have also rolled my fenders with a baseball bat. It's not a mistake to run 225's on a contour. You just may need to do a little fender rolling.

Yeah I'm not saying its a mistake. I'm just giving a heads up that it may require some work.

Will 15s fit on an SVT? They have bigger brakes don't they? I just need to know because I need to get a winter set in the next couple weeks before we see snow. Can't afford new so I'm hoping to widen my used tire/rim search with some other sizes.

dang it. guys i'm having a hard time purchasing tires for my car because i don't really want the original factory svt size tires, i want to get 225/50/16. obviously they are for my stock e1's. can anyone give me an idea of what to go with? i am searching on tire rack right now. i apologize if this is annoying, i have been looking for tires for a few days now, i just can't make a decision. i figure if i have a set of 18's with brand new tires, i mine as well get brand new tires for my e1's, plus i want them for inspection. thanks in advance.

dang it. guys i'm having a hard time purchasing tires for my car because i don't really want the original factory svt size tires, i want to get 225/50/16. obviously they are for my stock e1's. can anyone give me an idea of what to go with? i am searching on tire rack right now. i apologize if this is annoying, i have been looking for tires for a few days now, i just can't make a decision. i figure if i have a set of 18's with brand new tires, i mine as well get brand new tires for my e1's, plus i want them for inspection. thanks in advance.

I had 225 50 16's on my E1's that i just sold. They had Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec's on them, which the general consenus on those is that they run a little wider (If i'm not wrong, someone may correct me) and had no rubbing issues or anything. I had my front fenders rolled by the previous owner, so it wasn't done because of the size of the tires, and there was no rubbing on the rear even without fender rolling. Also, i'm dropped 1.5" on the koni sport kit.

I would go with 225, maybe because i'm a little biased :D. If you can afford 225's and some high end summer tires, you WILL not be dissappointed. The grip from those were awesome! They were alright in the rain, but they weren't meant to be "stars" (sorry for the pun :laugh:) in the rain.

Hope that helps some-what :).

I had 225 50 16's on my E1's that i just sold. They had Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec's on them, which the general consenus on those is that they run a little wider (If i'm not wrong, someone may correct me) and had no rubbing issues or anything. I had my front fenders rolled by the previous owner, so it wasn't done because of the size of the tires, and there was no rubbing on the rear even without fender rolling. Also, i'm dropped 1.5" on the koni sport kit.

I would go with 225, maybe because i'm a little biased :D. If you can afford 225's and some high end summer tires, you WILL not be dissappointed. The grip from those were awesome! They were alright in the rain, but they weren't meant to be "stars" (sorry for the pun :laugh:) in the rain.

Hope that helps some-what :).

thanks buddy i want to get 225's and i can afford them so i may go that way, if you guys think its a good idea. i just want to get the best tread wear rated tires as well. i just want the best tires that i can put on my e1's.

well what are you going to be using the stock wheels for? since it sounds like you have (or are getting) 18s i have to assume you will be using the 16s for winter duty. if thats the case then you dont want a wider tire, if anything you want a narrower tire (and you certainly dont want a summer tire but could maybe get away with an all season tire).

Back