• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

19s or 20s?

svt4stv

Hard-core CEG'er
so......im thinking about putting some wheels on the contour finally. i need to make one of a new design so i can take good pics for the website. and i think it would look SICK on a slammed contour. very HREish. this would be just for streety duty. ill probably put some 18s on for track duty. i remember that one guys csvt on 20s with some GCs and it look pretty good.

what do you guys think?

and anyone think a 20x8 would actually fit? or would it need to be 7.5?

anyone know the proper backspacing needed for a 19x8 that will actually work?

im also thinking about throwing some big brakes on the front. in order to clear them, id have a small lip. what do you guys think about having a "staggered look" (though bought would actually be the same width). ive heard some vws do this and it look pretty good. they wont be retotatble (word?) but thats not a big issue since the car doesnt get driven THAT much. think it would look good to have a 1" lip up front and a 3" lip in the rear? (on a slammed tour).

right now i have eibachs/koni but im thinking about going to GCs..

so......im thinking about putting some wheels on the contour finally. i need to make one of a new design so i can take good pics for the website. and i think it would look SICK on a slammed contour. very HREish. this would be just for streety duty. ill probably put some 18s on for track duty. i remember that one guys csvt on 20s with some GCs and it look pretty good.

what do you guys think?

and anyone think a 20x8 would actually fit? or would it need to be 7.5?

anyone know the proper backspacing needed for a 19x8 that will actually work?

im also thinking about throwing some big brakes on the front. in order to clear them, id have a small lip. what do you guys think about having a "staggered look" (though bought would actually be the same width). ive heard some vws do this and it look pretty good. they wont be retotatble (word?) but thats not a big issue since the car doesnt get driven THAT much. think it would look good to have a 1" lip up front and a 3" lip in the rear? (on a slammed tour).

right now i have eibachs/koni but im thinking about going to GCs..

And WHY did I know you would make a set of wheels in at least a 19" Steve? Could it be for your afinity of them on the Cobra ;)

Myself personally looking at pics of Contours on here think a 19" wheel is too big for these cars, while an 18" wheel looks better. There doesn't seem to be a big enough tire selection in a 19" wheel either.

I too agree that a "staggered" look only looks good on RWD cars. I'd stick to a wheel that is the same all the way around IMO.

Shannon

Staggered would look retarded. 19x8 with I believe a 45mm offset fits perfectly.

102_1905.jpg

I think 18's are fine. Anything larger looks strange to me. Whatever you decide hurry up. I want to see them.

1b8e69df.gif

^^ aw man those things look fuggen ugly as crap. What the hell would buy a car with such ugly rims. :laugh:

I'm telling you 19x8 is just right. With the tires you would have to run on 20's, the car would be practically non-drivable IMO.

It would look even better if my suspension would ever settle again-
100_2193.jpg

I'm telling you 19x8 is just right. With the tires you would have to run on 20's, the car would be practically non-drivable IMO.

I know you just want to whore your car on here. I would too man. It looks great!!

I know you just want to whore your car on here. I would too man. It looks great!!

You caught me! :eek: Honestly, when it was sunny this weekend, I turned the corner of my block and when my SVT came into sight, the wheels looked like they were practically glowing, and it made them appear huge, which is the effect I was going for here...but it doesn't work with no sun. :blackeye:

Seriously though, with the Konis set to any firmness, the 19's make for a pretty stiff ride. I wouldn't want to imagine 20's. Right now I have my Konis set pretty soft, like an old man, and the ride isn't any worse than my G8, but the handling just isn't there.

with my 19's and B&G/Koni setup on full soft it feels like stock suspension (ride wise) but of course handles way better than stock. I know the tires I have has something to do with it. I'm glad I listened to Ryan and got the Nitto's.

I love my current setup. Large, sexy, easy on the bumps, handles great, and doesn't make a peep....kinda how I like my women too, I keed.

Back