• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Front strut tower brace mounting question

SoundQ SVT

Hard-core CEG'er
Question for those who have added a front strut tower brace. How did you attach it to the top of the tower? Self-tapping screws from the top, or bolts from the bottom?

I picked up one of the strut tower braces off Amazon, and it didn't come with any hardware for mounting. I started trying to do the bolt approach, but I don't think it is going to work. I am using a camber kit and it looks and feels like the bolt head is in contact with the strut mount. Getting very frustrated.

I got mine new and just used the self tapping screws to install it. Perhaps a carriage bolt would give clearance to the strut mount.

Last edited:
From my experience, I know OMP Brace comes with Self Tappers, Drill some holes and screw it in.
I don't know about your brace, the location of where you are screwing it in may interfere with your strut mount.

The OMP Brace mount holes are far enough away from the center of the shock tower that they clear the mount.

Do you guys know what size the self tapping screws were? Both diameter and length? I am having difficulty finding ones that I think are big enough to do the job, but I am probably overestimating the requirement.

Back