• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

factory radio blowing fuse#34

cjmahone66

CEG'er
my head unit was stolen a while back and this weekend i decided to put the factory radio back in. of course the thieves cut my wires, so i replaced the stock wiring harnes between head unit and factory amp.

fuse #34 is for the courtesy lights and electric mirrors, also has something to do with key FOB operating. anyway, fuse #34 blows when i plug in the head unit. as long as i dont have the head unit plugged in, everything is fine, everything works, drives fine. as soon as i plug it in, fuse 34 blows and then the radio's constant 12+ volts (orange/black wire) has no juice. i've tried disconnecting battery before replacing fuse and plugging everything in, but as soon as i connect batt, it blows.

i dont have another radio to plug in, so i don't know for sure the factory radio is any good. can those go bad and cause that circuit to blow?

i really dont want to go buy another radio just to find out the problem is somewhere else. i've checked all the wires and connections i can find in that system and i can't find any shorts. and like i said, as long as the radio head unit is not plugged in- the circuit is fine.

i never could get the stock radio and amp to work. i doublechecked all wiring and i couldnt find any shorts or anything. finally sprung for a cheap head unit and rewired everything off just the powered head unit, no amp. the aftermarket HU works fine. my guess is that the stock amp or HU had an internal short of some kind. oh well.

Back