• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

major issue after simple brake job.

crackerican69

Veteran CEG'er
I recently put pads and rotors on a 96 Mystique V6. All went well, with the exception of a broken bleeder screw which has since been replaced. Now when we went to drive the car, the pedal felt spongy. Checked the fluid. It was full, but almost black. Did a full flush and still no change. Rebled the brakes and still no change. Master cylinder...same thing... the only other thing I can think of would be the booster (had my brakes go out while driving before with no leaks). Is it possible for the booster to even go bad duting such a routine thing? Even with the car off, the pedal still has a lot of travel.... did I answer my own question...or is it possibly something else???

Bled all four twice. And the only time fluid was lost was during bleeding. No leaks and all line/hose connections are tight. Drove it a little bit last night and it seemed to get a little better. There is too much travel in the brake pedal for my liking...but it stops...ok...

Are you sure the caliper retaining springs were put on correctly? That will make the pedal feel spongy...

No need to bleed with changing pads and rotors, I never do it.

If booster goes bad pedal effort gets harder not softer.

Air in lines.

Back