• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

brake flush

You can, in essence, "flush" forever. You are supposed to flush until you get new fluid from each corner (and, ideally, from the clutch as well) Its up to YOU to stop then, though. You COULD go through an entire extra bottle for no reason.

Seriously, though: I would expect to use one or one and a quarter bottles (what's that? 8 oz, or 10?)

Just keep refilling the resevoir BEFORE you suck air! lol and pour SLOW so as not to introduce air while pouring.

It depends on how dirty things are in your brake hydraulic system. Also expect to use a bit more if you are bleeding the clutch at the same time. If you have a manual trans car you should do the clutch at the same time.

The first time I did mine it took all of a quart container plus about another 1/4 quart. After the first time, it usually takes about 3/4 quart. I change mine annually.

ok thanks guys. yea i was just gunna put higher performance fluid in. do i need to bleed the clutch so the new performance fluid gets in there?

I always go through the bigger bottle if I'm doing a full flush of everything. Can't remember how many oz.'s. The next step up from the one that fits in your had. LOL!

Is there any way or need to actuate the abs when flushing? I know on my wifes intrepid, her ABS holds quite a bit of fluid, but requires a special tool to make it actuate. So I flush it, drive it around for a bit doing a few hard stops to get the ABS moving, then flush again.

Can alex pepper's software activate ABS? I imagine it can, but I don't know if it's built in. There is a part where you can enter a command stringe to do certain things though.

Back