• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Question about foglights

I see in some of these pictures that some of you all with CSVT's are able to turn on your parking lights and foglights at the same time, without the headlights coming on. My car doesnt do this. Whenever I have all of the lights on, when I turn off the headlights, the fog lights go out too, but I am not pushing in the button, I am just turning it once to the left. Any thoughts?

Fog light mod.

Search for it.

You know, i printed and followed the directions, although at night and try tomorrow again during my lunch break, but i had a question...
When i look at the back of the switch, i see a green relay going into the main switch and the two other smaller relays, but the one right by the green one is the one we talk about in the write-up or am i missing something?

The way i read the instructions says that this is the one take out, but i have no white relay, but a green one with more than four wires as explained and the one right by it(i think it is white) is just to iluminate the switch...BASED ON THE FORD CD i have...

Care to give out a couple of more hints i am not getting here...?

Thanks to all!

its should bee th white relay. hold the relay while its still connected and turn the headlight switch to its various positions. you should feel it click when the headlights are on AND you pull the switch to turn on the foglights.

Hey folks, as i still have my under the dash taken apart due to this mod, i have a couple of questions...

So i went under the dash and with no room to take a picture i grabbed this one...

http://picasaweb.google.com/juanc.delgado/Car/photo#5154289668912998338

Is that what this mod is talking about?

Also, if it is, as the other two are going to iluminate the switch and the other to the view mirros switch, do i have a different setup or ?

I am a bit skeptical on electrical stuff on cars, idk why...hehe.

All help appreciated so i can at least know what is going on or need, thank you!

ok, dude, if you look (with a flashlite) through the hdlite switch hole, you will see a small relay/connector that is white with orange
wires (abt 4 or 5). this thing is attached to the underside of a bigger blk or green box. its a :censored: to get it unhooked from the underside of the bigger box. all of this should be aprox. 8" in from the headlite switch hole.
now follow these instructions close and you will win my friend!!:cool:

Requires doing some rewiring in the headlamp switch relay.

Under the dash, remove the trim panel directly below the steering wheel. There are 3 trim plugs on the top. Remove these and then remove all 5 bolts (7 mm) holding on the trim panel. Remove the trim panel (careful when dropping the panel...the light is attached to the panel), twist the light socket away from the panel and set panel aside.
  1. Look under the dash, behind the Headlight switch. You will see a small white relay. The easiest way to make SURE that this is the relay is to put you hand on the relay and cycle the fogs a few times. You should feel the relay "clicking". Pull the relay away from its mounting bracket and pull it down so its easy to work on.
  2. There are four wires on the relay:
    A. Orange/Black - ALWAYS +12 volts
    B. Orange/Yellow - +12 when fog lights are ON
    C. Black/Red - GROUND when fog light switch is turned on
    D. Orange - +12 when headlights are ON
  3. What we want to do is to fool the relay into thinking that the headlights are on, thus allowing the use of the fogs. Cut the ORANGE wire (leaving about 3 inches sticking out of the relay). Insulate the end of the ORANGE wire leading to the switch. It is no longer needed.
  4. Splice the end of the ORANGE coming out of the relay into the ORANGE/BLACK (either with a 3M splice connector, or strip a little insulation away, wrap the wires, and solder).
  5. Insulate your splice well, and TEST THE FOGS!! The first time I did this, I didn't test, put everything back, then had to rip it apart again. TEST THEM!! If they work, put the relay back up there, and replace the panel under the dash.

btw, those instructions really did work for me.

hurray for me!!! finaly 50 posts!!!!!! now I can shop in the classifieds!!!!!!!

Last edited:
  1. Look under the dash, behind the Headlight switch. You will see a small white relay. The easiest way to make SURE that this is the relay is to put you hand on the relay and cycle the fogs a few times. You should feel the relay "clicking". Pull the relay away from its mounting bracket and pull it down so its easy to work on.

note that on my 99 the relay was not on a bracket like in my 95, it was just hanging there ...

btw, those instructions really did work for me.

hurray for me!!! finaly 50 posts!!!!!! now I can shop in the classifieds!!!!!!!

Lol, you troll, haha, thanks for the tips, i know this stuff, it is like the way things are so small in there to get to it is like impossible to see it during cold weather, outside, will try tomorrow or bust!!! :mad:

Ok.

I figured to get the little trim piece holding both switches out of its holding place and able to see things a bit easier.

PLEASE SEE PICS SO IT MAKES SENSE TO YOU...

First one:

http://picasaweb.google.com/juanc.delgado/Car/photo#5154673982586644434

This is what i found behind the switches, one big green relay, the small one right next to it for lighting the switch and the one for the view mirrors.

Second one:

http://picasaweb.google.com/juanc.delgado/Car/photo#5154673986881611746

This shows you the wires going into this relay and based on the instructions i have read numerous times, there is way more wires and there is honestly no orange (one color only) wire.

Third one:

http://picasaweb.google.com/juanc.delgado/Car/photo#5154673986881611762

This is a different view on these wires.

As some of you may think, there are no white relays laying aroudn in the back of this trim piece or loose wires, this is pretty much all i found and connected to something.

Now, i have two assumptions:

1. This is what i have to modify and cut that orange/white wire and tap into the orange/black one and pretend this is what the instructions say?

2. I have a different relay/wiring system than the ones you guys have...perhaps?

I am not desperate to do this, but while i am learning about this car and its wonders, it'd be nice to at least troubleshoot this little wiring situation.

Thanks for all recommendations, it is really appreciated! :cool:

The big green thing is not a relay. its the headlight switch connector. if you look farther back there should be a white relay. I can get pictures of what to look for if you really need them.

The big green thing is not a relay. its the headlight switch connector. if you look farther back there should be a white relay. I can get pictures of what to look for if you really need them.

Do you mind taking a couple of pictures so i do have an idea of what is for me to get to?

I appreciate it. All the wiring back there is all securely taped up with black electrical tape so i'd have to untangle it all, with your pics it will help more.

Thanks. :shrug:

ok, dude, if you look (with a flashlite) through the hdlite switch hole, you will see a small relay/connector that is white with orange
wires (abt 4 or 5). this thing is attached to the underside of a bigger blk or green box. its a :censored: to get it unhooked from the underside of the bigger box. all of this should be aprox. 8" in from the headlite switch hole.
now follow these instructions close and you will win my friend!!:cool:

Now, i think i will tackle this again tomorrow as i have to go back to reading 101 and pay attention to the last two sentecnes of the second paragraph, sorry for wasting your time folks, i will check if any pictures from you folks are added or if i had more ?, but i will do this right, hehe.

Thanks to all!:crazy:

All done. It took me a bit of time as i was studying the wiring involved for this and other components (which i didn't touch) and i am quite happy with my work.

Thanks! :laugh:

good job! :cool:

don't know why ford makes us go through this on certain cars!!:mad:

Thanks!!

I was saying the same thing after i was done with this mod...it came to me, why not make it just standard...but meh, ford engineers...:crazy:

don't know why ford makes us go through this on certain cars!!:mad:

because the contour has seperate high and low beams. some states only allow 2 pairs, or 4 forward facing lights to be on at one time. so the fog lamps need to turn off. that and if your in fog your not going to have the high beams on because it makes it more difficult to see.

Back