• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Howto: Mondeo manual moonroof crank

Well, I think I am going to go this route. I bought a CSVT recently, and the sunroof worked fine when I bought it. Two weeks later and the gear strips. I pay $60 to SunroofGears.com (or whoever) and I get the part, install it, works great.... For 2 days.... Another stripped gear.

Yeah that happened to me twice. $120 down the drain. After all these years hanging onto the car I'd really like to get the hand crank installed. I wonder where I can get a Mondeo housing though...

More specifically, try Ebay in the UK, France or Germany. I've had success with Ebay UK on the crank and housing. You will likely have to e-mail the seller and ask them if they will sell to the USA since most of the people in Europe tend not to post to the USA. Postage may be stiff but it is worth it since you are getting a permanent fix to the failed sunroof motor.

Bear in mind the wiring for the moonroof is still live. I just tucked it away (for now), but suggest you investigate better alternatives, like taping it.
Whoops, I forgot about this. I still need to address it. :eek:

There has been some interest in this mod recently, as I have received a few PMs. The seller I bought mine from is no longer an active user on eBay. You might also try Mondeo forums like the MEG at talkford.com.

(BUMP) I'm trying this route as well. New sunroofgears.com lasted ONCE and the metal worm-gear started slicing the new plastic teeth into 2 little teeth, even though I just greased the track. I'm contacting UK used Mondeo parts sellers to see if they can help me out. At least the power feed to the motor worked well to my newly installed auto-dimming rearview mirror from a newer Taurus. :)

Six years running and it still works great.
And I still haven't fixed the wiring that I tucked away. :eek: Set it and forgot about it.

Back