• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

surface rust priming

MadDog

Veteran CEG'er
I might as well continue my quest for "most prolific poster of the month" award.

After I got my dash out, I noticed the horizontal support member in front of the firewall is showing surface rust. This is not surprising, and I don't see any pitting or advanced corrosion. However, I would like to coat or prime the metal surface. Normally you don't paint or prime on rust, but as the surface is irregular and/or not accessible, I would like to find some sort of primer that also knocks down the rust to metal (sort of like Evaporust or similar).

Can anyone recommend a product for this ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

I dunno if they even still make it honestly, But I would recommend a product called "POR-15" the P.O.R. literally stands for Paint. Over. Rust.

I swear by it.. it DOES work VERY well. not cheap

All of those crash bars are rusty, as Beans pointed out probably when the cars were put together they were showing signs of surface rust discoloration from production/storage.

The O-C monkey in me really wants to do something about surface rust even though I realize its not something I should really worry about. Hmmmm….

thanks,

Mad Dog

Back