• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

dash question

MadDog

Veteran CEG'er
Ran into this problem as part of trying to take the dash out. Part of the vinyl (?) outer surface has come somewhat unglued form the plastic under frame. besides glue, is there any sort of small trim clamp I could use to pinch the outer and frame together ?
fetch

thanks,

Mad Dog

Attachments

• photo16268.JPG
    photo16268.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 1
There are clips from Ford - if you track down the pdf of the dash warp kit, it shows them clearly. I see dash warp kits every once in a while at the pick & pull. That is your best bet.

I recall someone using gorilla glue and the clips from the dash warp kit to reattach the dash foam to the dash itself.

"U-clips" I see it now in the PDF.

Now that I look at this again, I see my dash has most of the repairs done to it already, but not the riveting of the defroster cover.

Thanks for the tip about the glue - that was my next question.

thanks,

Mad Dog

I got the dash out and several portions of the vinyl are delaminating from the plastic frame. Looks like I will be doing multiple fixes.

thanks,

Mad Dog

No Title

Well, after a lot of reading it doesn't look like there is a simple solution to the dash shrinkage. It appears that over the years, the dash plastic is subject to a slight shrinkage. IN the picture you are looking at the dash, from the viewpoint of the drivers side footwell, looking up. As you can see, where the vinyl is curled around a 90 degree bend, the shrinkage causes the plastic to lift off the plastic frame. No amount of tugging or pulling or glue will get the part after the bend back on the frame.

1 poster on FCO claims to have heated the vinyl which allowed him to stretch it back out, which then allowed him to glue it back into place. Has anyone else tried this or have another solution ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

Attachments

• photo16296.JPG
    photo16296.JPG
    395.2 KB · Views: 1
Back