• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

repair rear spoiler

MadDog

Veteran CEG'er
I recently noticed that the rear spoiler on my 2000 CSVT is cracking around the center support pillar, on the bottom, near the deck. I thought it would be a good idea to take it off, and JB Weld the crack. However, On each end of the spoiler, it appears there is no easy way to get the nut off, due to the riveted bracket that holds the rubber donut. Is the only way to drill out the rivets, and pop-rivet the bracket back on ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

Attachments

• photo15682.JPG
    photo15682.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo15683.JPG
    photo15683.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 0
Yep, pretty sure that is the only way.

Just something to consider...when we added a spoiler to my SE, I only drilled out one rivet and was able to rotate the rubber donut 90 degrees out of the way to access the spoiler nut. Once finished I just rotated it back into place and haven't had any issue with it being held on by the one rivet.

No Title

I finally got around to starting the spoiler repair, but hit a snag (wow, go figure….).

I got a pop river out on each side, and got the end nuts off. However, when I try and lift the spoiler off, I see there are 2 plastic clips (on one each side) holding the spoiler down. See the picture. The clip circled on the left is the piece and I am not sure how to approach this. Pry it off ? THe circled item on the right is the bolt that I got the nut off of.
fetch

thanks,

Mad Dog

Attachments

• photo15937.JPG
    photo15937.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 0
No Title

I hit a snag. After getting the nuts off the covered bolts on each side, there seems to be a plastic clip (circled item on the left) on each end holding the spoiler on the deck. How should I get the spoiler off ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

Attachments

• photo15937.JPG
    photo15937.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 0
Got it ! I had to go to the junkyard and practice on a car there. The grey clip stays with the deck, you need to pry the spoiler away from the clip, and it pops out. I will write up a how-to.

Mad Dog

There happens to be a thin foam layer between the spoiler mounts and the deck. Is this bog-standard foam sheet ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

Back