• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fixing rear lower bumper

ContourMike

Hard-core CEG'er
My SVT's lower rear bumper was cracked when I bought it last summer. I epoxied it (from the inside) which looked a lot better then the tape around it. I am (im)patiently waiting for the group buy to have the rear mesh complete which I'm sure would help support the lower bumper. The epoxy worked for bit, however I just noticed it broke apart again. The lower lip is complete just cracked in half. Soo, my question is have anyone had this problem and what did you do to fix your crack on your lower rear bumper and if so what did you do to fix it. I'm really going to try to save it so it don't disappear. Thanks.

I havnt tried this yet, but some of the youtube videos seem to use a combination of dremeling, fiberglass sheets and hot air plastic melter to repair a big crack. It doesn't sound like glue alone will hold up in the long term.

At some point I am going to try this on a spare front bumper I have.

thanks,

Mad Dog

If you have access to a plastic welder that would work. Fiberglass is not a good idea on these bumpers because it does not flex, and will not last long at all. I learned that the hard way. I've been using the 3M plastic bumper repair, So far I'm impressed with how well its held up. You can find it on ebay, Walmart even carries it in small tubes if the crack isn't to big.

Back