• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Any good OTC swirl hiders / removers?

m4gician

Hard-core CEG'er
I read through the polish and swirls threads that Pete posted and basically given my lack of a porter cable and my inexperience I'd rather hide the swirls than remove them. Removing them means I'll weaken the clearcoat and I'd rather not do that. I've used Meguairs Mirror Glaze 7 pure polish, I'll double the coats on that but is there an intermediary I can use in between applications or in between the cleaner wax and the polish to do a better job of covering up those swirls?

You've got several options, including the Mothers Ultimate Wax System -- Pre-Wax Cleaner, Sealer & Glaze (which helps take care of the spiderwebbing without excessively scrubbing your paint), and Pure Carnauba Wax. You can try the ScratchX first, or another Scratch Remover, but if you'll probably have better results long-term if you use the Mothers system and then maintain it as necessary with just the Wax and/or the Sealer & Glaze. Canadian Tire carries all three products.

As far OTC products go, I have liked the small samplings of Mother's that I have tried.

If you are trying to remove scratches all over your paint with Scratch-X - forget it. That's a very laborious/tedious process. Scratch-X is good for spot treating scratches here and there - not for entire paint treatment. For that, you either use a procust with filler and hide swirls/scratches or a buffer and a polishing compound like Optimum (my current fav), Menzerna, Poor Boys.

HTH

As far OTC products go, I have liked the small samplings of Mother's that I have tried.

If you are trying to remove scratches all over your paint with Scratch-X - forget it. That's a very laborious/tedious process. Scratch-X is good for spot treating scratches here and there - not for entire paint treatment. For that, you either use a procust with filler and hide swirls/scratches or a buffer and a polishing compound like Optimum (my current fav), Menzerna, Poor Boys.

HTH

Thanks Pete, I know I can always count on you, I actually want to use Scratch X to remove some hairline scratches on the body that I notice, I'll wax them right up after just to make sure.

Back