• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Loose headlight

Seanette

New CEG'er
Yeah, I know, not really an aesthetic issue, but I couldn't figure out a better place for this one. :shrug:

On our '97 Contour, we discovered today that the driver's side headlight seems somewhat loose (the assembly can be wiggled a bit). Bob says it was not immediately apparent how to fix this.

Advice, anyone?

I assume it's the headlight assembly that's loose, not just the builb. Mine is a 1998 and the headlights are not the same as yours, but I had a similar problem with the passenger side headlight. The 1998 headlight is held in place with three screws. Both of the top tabs were broken so only the bottom one was actually holding the assembly. The tabs are plastic and I assume it's due to stress fatigue over time.

The real remedy is to replace the entire headlight assembly -- easy but expensive. Being a tightwad I used a couple of pieces of plastic I found around my shop and "Lock-Tite" to reattach and reinforce the tabs. That was a few weeks ago, but it's held so far.

Don

pre 98 headlights are held in with a horseshoe style clip ,you may have lost/broken one:shrug:

Back