• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine Cleaning

Mywhip

Hard-core CEG'er
What should i do to clean my engine? I had a good oil leak when i bought the car, and got it fixed but the oil is still there..i don't want to just take it to the car wash in case i might ruin something. So, any ideas?

Avoid high pressure water into wiring connectors and into the engine. It helps to dampen the area you want to clean first, then spray with degreaser (such as Simple Green), then rinse off. A light spray is safest.

Be careful of the spark plug wells. If they fill with water, the engine will not start, and you could damage the wires or even the plugs. If you do get water there, blow it out with compressed air or suck it out with a shop vac.

With a little care, you really have nothing to worry about. I wash my engine from time to time, maybe every six months to a year.

What all should i cover up? Obviously take the battery out, but what else? This is on my nissan, so parts may be a bit different but the idea is the same.

Its just so covered that its ridiculous. More than likely ill just keep the spark plug wires in the spot, spray some cleaning solution and let it soak for a while..pull out the garden hose and spray it. Of course ill let it sit with the hood up for a while.

Love the nissan video:) looks about the same as my car.

I can't believe its fine for the alternator to get wet like that.

What kind of cleaner should i get for my engine? We have an autozone and walmart around here, so anything should really be available.

What all should i cover up? Obviously take the battery out, but what else? This is on my nissan, so parts may be a bit different but the idea is the same.

Its just so covered that its ridiculous. More than likely ill just keep the spark plug wires in the spot, spray some cleaning solution and let it soak for a while..pull out the garden hose and spray it. Of course ill let it sit with the hood up for a while.

I don't cover anything up. I'm just careful how and where I spray.

I bought some stuff at auto zone that looks promising. I can't recall the name of it, and its in my car but i will get the name of it later. The engine looks horrid, so i started a little bit ago. I got some pictures if anyone is interested. http://img193.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=engine1r.jpg

I covered the distributor, but nothing else is covered..since in the video he didnt cover anything else. I did take the battery out though. I started to clean it, but its about to rain so i just postponed all my work and rinsed the car out.

Hopefully get it all done by friday, and hopefully it starts up tomorrow XD

Yeah.

How long should i let the car dry before i drive it anywhere? I had to spray it a good amount to get the stuff off, but the car was already warm and i didnt stay in one spot for a long time.

Oh, the reason the head was so clean is because when i got the car i sprayed brake cleaner on it and cleaned it up a bit till i had none left, haha.

I am. None of it got on my paint (that im aware of)

I finished it up today. I didn't take pictures of the spots i did, but it looks a lot better now! Now i just need to work on the lower engine/ tranny eventually. Out of cleaner right now though:(

I've learned with my heavy equipment, the foaming engine bright works well but it is for sure naaaasty stuff. It will pull paint, but after a good cleaning my tractor actually runs cooler because it can breath a little better.
As for cars, for the love of god make sure it's cold when you spray it on or the next 6 months will SUCK!!! I try as much as possible to blow it out w/ compressed air after as well and hit any electrical connections i'm weary of with dielectric.

Back