• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3M Headlight Restore Kit. Buy It! Never buy new headlights again!

beyondloadedSE

Hard-core CEG'er
Seriously, this kit is flat out awesome. I'm confident this could turn the most yellowed headlights into brand new looking headlights. My friend told me about this and convinced me to give it a try. The kit is $20 from O'Reilly Autoparts. I'm sure its available at other Auto part stores or directly from 3M. What makes this kit so nice is it comes with a small sanding wheel you hook up on a cordless drill so you never have to worry about wetsanding again and wearing out your wrist and back. IIRC, it comes with 3 different grits of sanding pads and 2 different polishing pads. Anyways, here's the results from a few weeks ago. Overall, it took me about an hour to do both headlights.

After on Left...Before on Right
DSCN0604.jpg

headlightsbeforeandafter1.jpg

DSCN0599.jpg
DSCN0600.jpg

Yep the kit is the bomb and I've been saying it for months now. I love that it comes with a nice reusable polishing pad for adding some polish later down the road if needed. A great buy at autozone or o'reillys for under $20.

I'll give it a try tomorrow. if it can clean my mystique headlamps it can clean anything.

yea i'm definatly gonna redo mine as well. great job! i did mine a while back but it seems the fade has come back a little bit, after about 3 months. nice pics man.:eek:

looks good man...even though i love working out the wrist :laugh:...

I'll make sure to pick up a kit for the other vehicle :crazy:

I'll have to try this, but it pry won't last too long out here. Nothing survives a Phoenix summer.

I bought a headlight restoration kit over 6 years ago and it worked wonders on a set I bought at the junk yard. The headlights I did turned out perfect. It came with little pads with all different grits. It takes time and some patience but after an hour I had 2 brand new headlights.

attachment.php

Attachments

• csvt6.jpg
    csvt6.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 0
There is also a really great kit you can get at Walmart, it comes in a shiny silver bag. Cost is just shy of $20, and it worked awesome on mine! Just did them last week and so far no complaints. Just another option to throw out there!

Not worth it unless you dont have a drill at home. You could piece together a better kit for the same price.

Not worth it unless you dont have a drill at home. You could piece together a better kit for the same price.

i'd like to see pics ...but so far i'm bought on the 3m restoration. i'm gonna give er' a go this weekend. if you have pics of other ways to go, lets see some pics

Damn Jim they could use that for a commercial for the stuff:drool:

On a side note though, once you guys do this maybe you should think about clear Lamin-X covers for the headlights to keep this from happening again, no more than $60.00 bucks for them IIRC.

i'd like to see pics ...but so far i'm bought on the 3m restoration. i'm gonna give er' a go this weekend. if you have pics of other ways to go, lets see some pics

If you have a drill the 3M kit is the way to go for sure. The walmart packet kit is just polish and sandpaper anyway.

On a side note though, once you guys do this maybe you should think about clear Lamin-X covers for the headlights to keep this from happening again, no more than $60.00 bucks for them IIRC.

Not worth IMO unless you wanna add some color to the lights. Just polish the lights when you polish the paint and you shouldnt have an issue.

If you have a drill the 3M kit is the way to go for sure. The walmart packet kit is just polish and sandpaper anyway.

Not worth IMO unless you wanna add some color to the lights. Just polish the lights when you polish the paint and you shouldnt have an issue.

Not only should it keep them from fading but keep them from getting damaged by rock chips too:idea: and yes, you could add some color like I did and then have Pete as your #1 fan of the mod:laugh:

was the single 3000 grit disc enough for both lights? or what all comes in the kit. i am more concerned about not having enough sanding discs.

It comes with plenty of sanding discs (6), finishing discs (4), what they call a trizact disc (1) and then the foam polishing pad with a pouch of polish.

It comes with plenty of sanding discs (6), finishing discs (4), what they call a trizact disc (1) and then the foam polishing pad with a pouch of polish.

ok thank you. I am going to pick it up and restore my dads old cars headlamps. Got to get it ready for selling it.

Back