• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Battery Relocation

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
Ok, so I know people here have relocated their batteries to the trunk. I just got a battery box, terminals, wire, etc from doing a job for a former CEGer. I have a few question about the change.

First of all, how hard is it to do?

Which side works best? I assume passengers side to balance out drivers weight?

where should I run the positive and negative wires? Inside or outside of the car?

Where/how do I connect them to the OEM spots? Solder them to the OEM wires?

Anyone have pictures? I learn best visually!

I wouldn't say its to hard to do. It just takes some time.

Just about every battery relocation I have seen put the battery on the passanger side. Although either is fine. Heck you could center it in the trunk against the seat if you really wanted.

That is your preference. I ran mine inside the car. I also use zero guage. Ground in the trunk.

Make the connection for the possitive wires using a distribution block.

I think I have some photos on photobucket. when it desides to load I will post some if they are there.

That would be great! Thanks.

What about the main ground going from the block though? Just add more grounds from the block to the body?

yes, I just connected the main ground from teh block to the frame using one of the existing battery tray bolts that I didn't need anymore.

sounds good.

I have 4 gauge wire used for hooking up subs. Would that work? It looks bigger than the regular battery cable, but will it be big enough to make up for the resistance that the longer wire gives you?

I do believe that 4 gauge will be enough. I had the option for zero gauge so I went overkill with it.

here are the photos I have online at the moment

the distribution block up front is behind the intake. I have since changed it out for a smaller one. Also the ground now goes to the trunk floor instead of the taillight.

Lets see, I also swapped out the battery terminals for ones with plastic covers. The circuit breaker gave me trouble so I replaced that with a different one also. I also picked up a heavier ground cable and connected it at the same points, but its long enought to loop around the turbo and follow the power wire. I also replaced all the power wire from the alternator to the distribution block with 4 guage wire.

DSC04507_zps0d1fcdad.jpg

DSC04509_zps53f9d610.jpg

Last edited:
Great pics. Thanks! What is the red 4 ga wire in the trunk for? Or is that the one from the alternator to the battery?

Great pics. Thanks! What is the red 4 ga wire in the trunk for? Or is that the one from the alternator to the battery?

The red wire is for my stereo. It use to run up front to the battery. The zero guage wire is clear and runs up front to the distro block which connects to the starter/alternator.

Back