• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anybody ever hooked the a/c compressor to a toggle switch ???

ilovesvt

Veteran CEG'er
Has anyone ever hooked the a/c compressor to a separate switch,im going to be getting all new a/c stuff put in my 2.5,and since my harness was kind of messed up with the fans and a/c i dont want to mess with that area lol.....and since i run my fans full time i shouldnt run into any cooling issues.....im just pretty sure the compressor will not turn on with the stock a/c knob,so ive decided to run it through a toggle switch of some sort,if anybody has done this any info would be great thanks

Compressor needs to be controled by the pressure switches in the system and the computer. You will probably ruin the compressor or just keep freezing up the evaporator,

PCM controls it, without that the idle will be all messed up since PCM cannot make up for extra load off/on because you removed sensing from the PCM. If you go further and do away with the pressure switches, I can absolutely guarantee the compressor WILL blow up, right about the time snow starts blowing out of the vents. Don't ask me how I know that................................

PCM controls it, without that the idle will be all messed up since PCM cannot make up for extra load off/on because you removed sensing from the PCM. If you go further and do away with the pressure switches, I can absolutely guarantee the compressor WILL blow up, right about the time snow starts blowing out of the vents. Don't ask me how I know that................................

Dam i guess no a/c for me then lol.....

i know this is from forever ago but my first car an e0, i bought with 55k on it back round 04. it came with the ac hooked up to a switch under the hvac area there over the cupholders. worked okay, ended up removing it. couldnt fit regular sized drinks in there. i dont think it was wired fancy, i think it had to be on max ac and then hit the switch. so the pressure switch was probably still wired as usual and it was just another switch to complete the circuit. never understood the thought process behind it.

youd be better off just unplugging the pressure switches and jumping them with paper clips to check the switch. that is assuming it has a charge!

Back