• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

For my curiosities sake.

Pen_Two

Is not easliy amused.
I was at Bad (Best) Buy today looking at RCA cables for my car. They had one brand...Rockford Fosgate. 16.4 feet was about $42.

So in a stroke of curiosity I went to the home audio section and found 20 feet of some RCA home audio RCA cables for $21. All the same features of the Rockford cables; same thickness, shielding/insulation, gold plated plugs, etc.

What's the difference here? Are you generally just paying for the Rockford Fosgate name tag?

Yes. I got an entire 4 gauge wiring kit for my car for $25 on eBay. It included 18 feet of 4 gauge power wire, 3 feet of 4 gauge grounding wire, amp signal wire, 17 feet of shielded RCA cable, end caps, etc.

Yes, you are paying for the pathetic name brand and they expect noobs from the highschool parking lots to go in and buy it not knowing the difference. Its just like how Monster Cable will try to tell you they make a wire for classical and different one for Jazz. Its @#%#$ copper wire!!

Well, needless to say I walked out with 3 sets of RCA jacks for ~$65. Two sets of 20' and 1 set of 15'.

Mind you if I actually bought the Fosgate stuff I would have spent ~$130.

I think I made a good choice. :laugh:

Because like I stated...I needed them then and there. It's the only reason I went to the god forsaken place.

I was at Bad (Best) Buy today looking at RCA cables for my car. They had one brand...Rockford Fosgate. 16.4 feet was about $42.

So in a stroke of curiosity I went to the home audio section and found 20 feet of some RCA home audio RCA cables for $21. All the same features of the Rockford cables; same thickness, shielding/insulation, gold plated plugs, etc.

What's the difference here? Are you generally just paying for the Rockford Fosgate name tag?

Umm... those would be the Dual-Twist RCA's, the regular 5m/16.4 ft Rockford Fosgate RCA's are $22.... Dual twist RCA's are recommended if you're running a 4 channel amp because they are less likely to have interference from power wires and such because they are twisted twice as much, hence dual-twist. The regular RCA's made by RF are $22.... Now we just got the new RF RCA's/CAPS/Amp Kits/fuses/in-line fuse holders/etc/etc in.... I haven't checked to see if the prices changed, but I don't think they could have changed that much since they still come in regular and dual-twist, if I get bored at work I'll do a price check and see....

To me it's a good deal because I just don't trust Walmart's RCA plugs.

Also, I needed this right then and there. :shrug:

Wal-mart car kits/wires/amp kits are ****.... I've seen more RCA's in those kits go bad than any other, plus their amp kits seem to be a gauge lower then everyone elses... like a 4 gauge kit of theirs is like a 5 gauge... an their 8 is like a 9.... it's messed up.... I had to use one of their dash kits the other night, POS....

Back