• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

DIY poly fill roll restrictor

ryanblacksvt

I'm the Dork who ran 14.9 on PassTime. :)
This is extremly easy to do and very cheap

*****THIS IS NOT TO TAKE AWAY FROM WHAT POLE120 DOES AS I AM SURE HIS ARE ALOT CLEANER LOOKING AND BETTER*****

List of items needed

1 tube of 3m window weld-I got mine at Advance auto for $13.97
1 Caulking gun-I got mine at Advance auto for $4.44
1 pair of disposable gloves and or i can of paint thinner (I used paint thinner but should have gotten gloves)

First take the Roll restrictor and wash well with soap and water
8efplic.jpg

Dry with hairdryer (works best for me) till NO WATER IS LEFT ANYWHERE, make sure you are 100% positive no water is left in any of the holes.
85cm5g2.jpg

Remove the bottom of the tube pull cap, its a regular tube of caulk so the poly fill isnt going to spill out, dont worry
85uyxid.jpg

Place in caulking gun and poke a BIG hole in nozzle and screw on plastic tube attached to the tube
879kn87.jpg

Start by filling all the holes, make sure you push the nozzle down into the holes and fill till it starts coming out of the top and slowly pull the tube out while continuing to fill so there arent any voids
6ks9agl.jpg

After that do the other side holes and fill both all over the area and then pack it in with your glove covered hand or use a platric bag like I did so make sure there arent any air pockets in the poly fill and your done
6ut3i9g.jpg

8bz3zft.jpg

Most say to let sit for 24 hours but I am going to let it sit for 2-3 days before installation.

Now if you dont use gloves like I didnt make sure you have paint thinner cause your hands will look like this and this stuff is NOT easy to get off without paint thinner.
6u5vhg3.jpg

Last edited:
Couple questions....

What is the hardness rating of the 3M compound?

Is that product actually polyurethane, or some other compound?

How much of the 3M compound actually went into the mount, a picture of the tube after use would be helpful here.

I will awnser those when I get home and have the tube in hand, it didnt take alot, maybe like 1/2 the tube, but I do know that it is polyurethane

I didnt see anything about the hardness rating of the compound on the tube, and how much it took, It looks as I pier into the bottom of the tube about 1/4 of the tube and I compressed it in good and added more and more.

To add I weight about 170, I had my wife watch from the side and I stuck a screw driver through the hole and did heavy pushups, then stood on each side and she could barely see the hole move if at all.

what does doing this actually do for the car? reduce wheel-hop or what? just curious, if it does something i like, i might do it to mine

Yes it should eliminate wheel hop.

Not even a SET of my mounts totally eliminate wheel hop. Just a rear mount partially filled with window glue retaining all stock rubber is not going to perform as well as you're saying.

Just an FYI for those expecting a $20 magic fix.

I'm not knocking the method or pushing my product, I'm all about DIY stuff. But let's not make exaggerated claims about the methods effectiveness.

The above mount was not "partially" filled, it was totaly filled, and I should have noted above ,filling the rear mount and front or using a insert like I have should help a GREAT DEAL with wheel hop.

And this isnt window glue, this is polyurethane like you use. But once again like I posted to begin with, this isnt to take away from what you do cause yours are most likely a better job and also cleaner, this is for people who dont have what you charge to do it or want to do it themselves.

The above mount was not "partially" filled, it was totaly filled, and I should have noted above ,filling the rear mount and front or using a insert like I have should help a GREAT DEAL with wheel hop.

It is not totally filled, of that i can guarantee you. I didn't say it wouldn't work at all, I'm just pointing out it will not eliminate wheel hop completely as you stated.

this isnt window glue, this is polyurethane like you use.

Please understand that it is NOT like what i use.

But once again like I posted to begin with, this isnt to take away from what you do cause yours are most likely a better job and also cleaner, this is for people who dont have what you charge to do it or want to do it themselves.

I fully understand that and like I just got done saying, i'm not knocking the process or people who want to DIY, I'm a huge fan of DIY and i regularly help people with filling their own mounts. We're on the same side here. :cool:

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just interjecting some of my 3 years of experience dealing with these mounts to help the masses better understand the pros and cons of the process you're showing.

Ohh yeah I understand and really do appreciate it ,you are the mount/rr filling expert, but how is it not totaly filled? I filled each hole till it started oozing out, then pressed in and filled more top and bottom.

And what do you use to fill it, I know its not the exact same product but is it close?

how is it not totaly filled?

I'll put up some pictures tonight and try to explaine it as best i can. :cool:

And what do you use to fill it, I know its not the exact same product but is it close?

I use a product made by Frosch Polymer available thru Mcmastercarr. I'll pull out the MSDS sheet when i get it and compare it to the one for the window glue.

Can you possibly send me a cured sample of the product? Maybe a 1/2" thick disc? I can compare it to samples i have to compare it's hardness to the products i use.

I'll put up some pictures tonight and try to explaine it as best i can. :cool:

I use a product made by Frosch Polymer available thru Mcmastercarr. I'll pull out the MSDS sheet when i get it and compare it to the one for the window glue.

Can you possibly send me a cured sample of the product? Maybe a 1/2" thick disc? I can compare it to samples i have to compare it's hardness to the products i use.

Yes please post some pics, I will take all the help I can get, since this was the first time I have ever done anything like this.

Ok cool yeah let me see if I can still get some out of the tube, if not I can always send you the tube itself since I am done using it.

I've been thinking about doing this when I pull my motor/trans. If you do a google search for 3m window mold motor mounts you find that it's actually pretty common.

If I end up doing mine (which I probably will), i'll fill the front as well as the rear.

EDIT: Here is a link to the stuff... You should be able to find it just about anywhere locally...
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=MMM&MfrPartNumber=08609

Last edited:
I can guarantee that the 3M window weld urethane isn't the same hardness as what Pole is using, and this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Some folks don't like the extra harshness from an ultra stiff poly roll restrictor set, and this DIY here provides an improvement that lies somewhere in between stock and Pole's products . . .

Thank you man, I am sending him the unused portion of the window weld and he will do some tests to see what the differances are. Either way now we have 2 options over stock.

I can guarantee that the 3M window weld urethane isn't the same hardness as what Pole is using, and this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Some folks don't like the extra harshness from an ultra stiff poly roll restrictor set, and this DIY here provides an improvement that lies somewhere in between stock and Pole's products . . .

It's for this reason I've done a few sets in 80A and i can get poly as soft as 60A. This is an easy way to DIY, no doubt about it.

that's what i was thinking and then i read your post.

i have Pole's mounts on my car. with the 19s it was STIFF! almost too stiff, that i was ready to put the stockers back in...

right now my car is on the stock wheels and its completely fine, but it wont be on stocks for much longer...

im wondering if this method would be a nice compromise for me. medium stiff, so to speak.

but, with Pole's i have yet to experience ANY wheel hop. i used to get crazy wheel hop with my stock motor, stock mounts, and all wheel combinations. with Poles mounts, 220fwhp 3.0, and 19s i havent experienced any at all! which is nice.

im wondering if Ryan's method could possibly be a happy medium.....:ponder:

that's what i was thinking and then i read your post.

i have Pole's mounts on my car. with the 19s it was STIFF! almost too stiff, that i was ready to put the stockers back in...

Just curious, what do wheels have to do with NVH associated with motor mounts?

im wondering if Ryan's method could possibly be a happy medium.....:ponder:

This is why i've done a few sets in 80A, Little softer, but still effective.

Glad you're happy with the performance of the 94A's though. :)

Back