Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RWD CSVT: PRT's CDW-27 RWD conversion build thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RWD CSVT: PRT's CDW-27 RWD conversion build thread.

Some of you follow PRT on Facebook(facebook.com/prtautosport) and keep up on what we're up to at the shop....well, with yesterday's sale of the built trans we had sitting around, the build will officially be re-beginning, so I figured it was time for all of CEG to have a look.

I've always had this build in the back of my mind since I picked up a world class t-5 trans some 5 years ago, and over those 5 years I have done a lot of research, a lot of planning, and a little dreaming. What really kicked this off this year, in addition to finishing the track SVT we've also always dreamed of building, was acquiring Hetfield's old SE for use as a mock-up chassis. It didn't take long and we had the front end fully dismantled and started taking measurements. The plan is/was to use this SE chassis to get a feel for everything, then clean up the design for final assembly into an SVT chassis. We weren't expecting to even look for that chassis till spring but couldn't pass up the deal handed down from Blu_fuz for a black E0 that needed more than a little work to live again. The body is straight with minimal rust and will make for a great car to run this in.

"So what's the plan?!?"

In true PRT style, the plan for this build is to stay clean, stay simple and end up with something that looks almost OEM. The car will run a turbocharged 3.0 Duratec mated to a T-5 transmission and driving a Mustang Cobra IRS. Unlike our track car there will be a more substantial interior, but severl changes are planned there as well. We intend to keep the outside lines of the car relatively unchanged, but there will be a few subtle touches that let you know this isn't your every day Contour.

A huge thanks goes out to all who have helped me brainstorm, offered ideas and encouraged me to even get this far. While the build has only just begun, things should start coming together relatively quickly. So with that, a teaser until work progresses on the new chassis this weekend...

99 SVT "BLKOUT2" - PRT street driven track #&$% - 13.904 at 102.58 | 98 SVT - PRT RWD conversion project car
    00 ROUSH Cougar - SOLD | 02 SVTF - New toy and R&D car. Future RWD?

Owner/operator PRT www.prtautosport.com
    Follow development of CDW-27 performance parts: http://www.facebook.com/PRTautosport

Awesome man, good luck on it, if anyone can do it, it's you. One question I have is what are you going to do suspension wise on it? Surely stock spring rates and struts are going to be a problem, especially in the rear. Oh well, I'm sure that'll be one of the last things you look at, either way all of CEG is really excited.
    '99 Spruce Green SE "Sport" 'Tour, 2.5L MTX...140K and currently dead. RIP
    '98 Dark Blue SE Sport V6 MTX 123K and counting, all mods from old, plus D2's.
    '03 5dr SVTF 110K the new DD, some mods, hoping not many more.

Comment

not sure if this has been disgusted but how are you going to get to the water pump once it's in the car?
      98.5 t-red Zetec mtx
      207,000 and counting
      i love bring my car into class, it give a new "special circumstance" every day.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMyers View Post
        Awesome man, good luck on it, if anyone can do it, it's you. One question I have is what are you going to do suspension wise on it? Surely stock spring rates and struts are going to be a problem, especially in the rear. Oh well, I'm sure that'll be one of the last things you look at, either way all of CEG is really excited.
        Front suspension will remain relatively unchanged with the exception of coil-overs and steering rack relocation. The current plan for the rear is a self contained system mounted to the Cobra IRS. Rather than using the standard Cobra strut/spring combo, I'm looking into using cantilevers and running coil over horizontally over the top. In addition to making it a clean install, it also means no more strut behind the tire, so I can use all of the stock rear wheel well the contour has to offer.

Originally posted by jrichardson View Post
        not sure if this has been disgusted but how are you going to get to the water pump once it's in the car?
        Carefully? We've got a few plans in mind, but that is a back-burner item.
        99 SVT "BLKOUT2" - PRT street driven track #&$% - 13.904 at 102.58 | 98 SVT - PRT RWD conversion project car

Follow development of CDW-27 performance parts: http://www.facebook.com/PRTautosport

Comment

Awesome man, really looking forward to it, love the look of a cantilevered suspension.
          '99 Spruce Green SE "Sport" 'Tour, 2.5L MTX...140K and currently dead. RIP
          '98 Dark Blue SE Sport V6 MTX 123K and counting, all mods from old, plus D2's.
          '03 5dr SVTF 110K the new DD, some mods, hoping not many more.

Comment

Dibs!
            *CLICK HERE ---> 1995 SE 3L WITH MATCHING TRAILER <--- CLICK HERE*
            30 Contour / Mystiques and counting......

Comment

I'm definitely subscribing to this thread....good luck and I am looking forward to seeing this process.
              -99 E1 Black/MNB #1974 stock DD
              -98 E0 Black/MNB #0812 3L sold
              -98 E0 T-Red/MNB #0322 sold

Comment

Originally posted by jrichardson View Post
                while it will make the WP much harder to change, it will improve access to the alt... trade one evil for another.
                Originally posted by Pole120
                Why? BECAUSE RACE CAR!
                94 Towncar RIP 20090730
                96 SE mtx, RIP 20100821
                99 Cougar, project car
                09 Fit mtx, DD

Comment

What are you doing for management (I know its a long time off but my engine runs amazingly better on a standalone).
                  95 SeVT 3.0L
                  Audi A4 From Hell

Comment

Originally posted by 2000ZxT View Post
                    What are you doing for management (I know its a long time off but my engine runs amazingly better on a standalone).
                    Xcal with PRP is the current plan. The initial goal for this setup is to get it running with NA no changes from OEM. Obviously the cars wiring harness will have to be modified, but we are trying to make this as plug and play as it can be. Again, simplicity is key which is why we're sticking with the Duratec powerplant.

Comment

Nice. Cant wait for this one. This will be the first RWD tour if completed, right?
                      Julian
                      98.5 csvt #6226 of 6535
                      Rally Inspired 3L turbo'd monsTOUR
                      Modifications??? well...lets just say this ain'tcha grandma's contour :D

Comment

craziness.

GO PRT!
                        - 1999 SVTC TGRN/TAN #1068
                        - 1999 SVTC BLK/TAN #1977 - Sold 10/11

Comment

Rock solid. Good like with the build... subscribing...

Originally posted by BAD SVT View Post
                          Nice. Cant wait for this one. This will be the first RWD tour if completed, right?
                          Yup, that we know of anyway. I doubt somebody would have completed that much work and no one on here know about it.
                          Last edited by CSVT#49; 11-24-2011, 01:30 AM. Reason: fixed my awesome spelling error
                          -Mike
                          If you are wondering where the avatar came from look here... Link
                          98 SVT Contour - HoK TruBlue|CF roof|#49/6535 DOB 3/25/97|550whp here I come|Follow my extremely slow 3L/turbo build here Link
                          85 Camaro - 1969 350ci, 503BHP

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

About goddamn time someone attempted this
                            2013 Dodge Dart 1.4T/6mt
                            Viper powered project with father
                            99SE traded in 04/13

Comment

Originally posted by CSVT#49 View Post
                              Yup, that we know of anyway. I doubt somebody would have completed that much work and know one on here know about it.
                              good question. years ago there was a mondeo owner who was going to do this also. As I recall the car was stripped competely down, and thats about where it was. Have no idea if it was ever completed or not.
                              - 12 Focus SE
                              - 99 Contour SeVT <- 3L/NPG Turbo
                              - 2k Contour SVT - #2137

Comment

Working...
                              X