• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Another Diff Bites the Dust

BriceRice

CEG'er
Sorry the picture is not the best but you can see the damage. Went out on the highway with the cruise on. I can almost fit my whole hand in and pull out whats left of it. *hit went flying out and cut my clutch line to boot. Took a hammer to it office space style and tost it to the trash! Hello Quaife!

1013071249.jpg

woah woah woah.

how often does this happen without abusing the diff?

Also... prior to this had you done any clutch dumps? burn outs? or are you a refined driver?

nope never taken to the track, dont drive that hard; here and there getting on the highway but never anything like dumps or anything. But yes the quaife will be a huge upgrade, also did the 3L with new flywheel and clutch

nope never taken to the track, dont drive that hard; here and there getting on the highway but never anything like dumps or anything. But yes the quaife will be a huge upgrade, also did the 3L with new flywheel and clutch

so you were running a 3L on the stock diff? What trans fluid were you using?

LOL no ****! Sounds like Alias is trying to go CSI and find the exact reason why it broke. :crazy:

Mark

haha, I was just curious because I havent heard many instances of a stock diff wrecking without being abused.

I was wondering if he was using redline fluid, as some of the people here have experienced problems with using that particular fluid.

3L + Stock Diff = Diff-B-Gone I'm lucky - I only stripped the splines off of the spider gears. Maybe having weaker spider gears is a better thing...

3L + Stock Diff = Diff-B-Gone I'm lucky - I only stripped the splines off of the spider gears. Maybe having weaker spider gears is a better thing...

I wish i were that lucky. Mine put holes in it. 3 or 4 different spots + cracks.

wondering how long the current diff will hold...

PICT0048.jpg

Well here are some answers; I bought the car with 43k on it, no idea what fluid, no drops, no abuse. The car has 74k on it now when the diff went out. This happend with the 2.5 in, I am now upgrading to 3L while I have everything out. Upgrades include 3L (SVT Cams SVT UIM), Nautilus LIM, Fidanza Flywheel, Spec Stage 1 Clutch Kit and new tranny with Quaife bought from Steeda.

Back