• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ceiling console/bizarre electrical problem

TJSwoboda

CEG'er
I posted this in Southwest, and it was suggested I'd get a better response here:

Okay, so my reading light/sunroof control console thingy fell off a couple months back, and I picked up a replacement from Bill at Team Ford. Last night I finally got around to attempting to put it on (with a great deal of help from my sister and brother in law, because I'm a dolt :troutslap: ) but ultimately we couldn't figure out how it goes on. On the first attempt we got the light to work but couldn't attach it; on the second try the light didn't work and now there's no power to the radio/clock. :help:

So, my query is this: Anyone want to attach this thing in exchange for a case of beer or something? I suppose we could even have a meet or something, even if it runs me the risk of getting kicked in the junk for my car's dire need of a detail, the dash warp, the driver side armrest that's given in to my elbow... :nonono:

Any takers? Meet me at Freemont and 8th St. at 3:00 AM. :crazy: j/k

--T.J.

The fact that now your radio and clock stopped working indicates that a fuse might have blown. Generally, if something electrical causes problems with other electrical items not directly connected, a fuse is the culprit.

I know there are fuse charts somewhere, but I'm unable to locate one at the moment. A quick search should bring it up.

Tony2005 comes through! Good luck finding the short.

--Off Topic Kinda--
I need to figure out how to keep such threads handy without having to search all over for them. I'd love to link people to the info, but I'm not exactly made of extra time either so I don't want to search the same topic multiple times.

--Off Topic Kinda--
I need to figure out how to keep such threads handy without having to search all over for them. I'd love to link people to the info, but I'm not exactly made of extra time either so I don't want to search the same topic multiple times.

At the top of the first post in the thread, there is a pull down menu called "Thread Tools." Select "Subscribed to this thread" and it will be in your control panel.

At the top of the first post in the thread, there is a pull down menu called "Thread Tools." Select "Subscribed to this thread" and it will be in your control panel.

Mine does this automatically in any thread I post in. Its done this since the beginning and I haven't changed anything. :shrug:

Thanks! I should be able to fix the radio/key fob receptor problem easily enough. Are there any guides online for installing the ceiling console?

--T.J.

Thanks! I should be able to fix the radio/key fob receptor problem easily enough. Are there any guides online for installing the ceiling console?

--T.J.

I might be able to make a vid sometime here if you can wait that long, and then post it on my site.

Working on the vid, got it recorded just need to post it, Trying to upload the file to my webserver so you can download, but it's timeing out, I may have to move to a different high speed connection, I'll try to get it posted before I go to bed tonight, which will be around 1 am probably. Hope it helps you. Okay back to work on trying to get it posted....

Last edited:
How-to Video

How-to Video

Here it is, the video on how to do it. I can't remember if the back unclips or slides, I'm more than positive that it slides back. As I've stated in past how-to's, I am NOT an expert! Use this video at your own risk, it's not my fault if you break something, this video is only an informational helper. If you break something by following my instructions, like i stated, you use this at your own risk. So my suggestion to you, watch the video, take your time, take a look at a Hanes manual if you can, ask more questions if you're unsure. If someone more experience watches this, and remembers better, please let me know, or comment on this vid and let others know if something I suggested is wrong. Even though I stated this already, I must state this again. You use this resource at your own risk, I assume no responsibility if you mess something up.

Here is the link:

watch

Last edited:
ok went out and played with mine for a few seconds and here is what I found out.The console has to be placed a behind where it goes,more back towards the sunroof then it slides towards the windshield.The two brackets on the rear of the piece clamp/slide onto the metal piece by the sunroof trim.Then install the screws on the front part throught the hole where lights are then replace lights.Hope it helps,if you can understand it let me know and I will try to get step by step pics and explain better when I'm not 3/4 asleep.

How much your new piece cost,person who owned car before me broke plastic part where screws are and I have a 1/4 in gap on the front of mine.

Last edited:
Back