• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#2 Upper Intake Bolt Snapped!!!

ryanhalstead

New CEG'er
What would be the outcome if one accidentally snapped the number 2 upper intake bolt while tightening it down? Is there a way to fix this? Is it detremental to the operation of the engine? I am considerably worried about this. I was tightening the bolts down to help with a supposed vaccume leak problem I have had for the past 2 years, every winter. Car dies when in idle. Drives me nuts, and its not the IAC either. Can't seem to find anything wrong with any of the hoses so was assuming it may be a bad gasket.

What to do now...

Ryan
1998.5 Contour SE 2.5L v6
106,000 KM's

Well if there is enough of the bolt left you can try a vise grip pliers, or there is a special tool to grip it, check major auto supply stores. If it is broken off level, the standard remedy is to drill a hole in the middle of it and use an easy out tool, again available at major auto stores.

good luck

Mike

I guess by halfway down you mean below the level of the hole it goes in? Or perhaps you havn't gotten that far yet. The deal is you drill a hole down the center of the broken off screw/bolt, preferably with a left handed drill bit, then screw or lightly pound in a little drill bit looking thing which you wrench out counter clockwise, hopefully pulling the broken screw out with it.

Unless you've done it a few times, its fairly difficult to get a broken screw out and maybe your engine isn't the place to practice.

Maybe get somebody at a machine shop to do it.

Good luck,

Mike

Ok, so Its possible to do. How is it something I have to do right way, or can it be left till I have my car fixed? Will driving with one bolt damaged cause harmful effects to the engine?

Ok, so Its possible to do. How is it something I have to do right way, or can it be left till I have my car fixed? Will driving with one bolt damaged cause harmful effects to the engine?
It’s not ideal - but you can probably get away with it on an intake. If you end up with a vacuum leak, don’t try to seal it by over tightening the remaining fasteners!

Just an observation…. If you like the car, get that broken bolt out now. Otherwise, you will put it back together and never repair the problem. Stuff like that tends to accumulate.

i did the same thing a few months ago. i drilled it in the center and used a easyout. all you do is find the right sized easyout and tap it in the hole you drilled. once its in there enough to grap rotate counter clockwise to remove. i put duct tape over my intake holes so i didnt get shavings in my motor. dont peel it off right away. either blow or vacuum them up.

Am I the only one who has never had an easy out work? They just end up breaking for me, every time. :shrug: I invested in a tap and die set so when I need to, I can drill it out.

I'm just happy with all the engine work I've done I've never had this issue. Sounds like a major PITA.

I'm just happy with all the engine work I've done I've never had this issue. Sounds like a major PITA.
dont the bolts that mount the upper intake manifold bolt to the lower intake manifold?

if they do, and i am unsure, then jsut replace the lower intake manifold and the bolt, at least then you cna do a UIM LIM cleaning as well?!:shrug:

If you can find one at a good price. Guess u could find a Cougar LIM since they were like the SVTs.

If you can find one at a good price. Guess u could find a Cougar LIM since they were like the SVTs.

he doesnt have an SVT, so unless he wants to upgrade, they are probably a dime a dozen in a local upull it!

Back