• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Blower motor/ ABS problem

Pugulis

CEG'er
Here's the deal. I have a 98 v6. About 2 weeks ago it snowed a little. As I left work the road was a little slushy, so when I put applied my brakes the abs started to take affect. After a few seconds the abs light poped on and my heater blower went off. The fuse in common is under the hood in the power distribution block. It's a big 60amp fuse. Well, I replaced the fuse and everything was cool. That is until it snowed again. I was going down a big hill and the the road was covered in snow, so obviously the abs kicked in. Once again the fuse blew. Does anyone know where the problem might be, or should I just carry extra fuses? I was thinking it might be in the wheel sensors.

well there are a few people with this same issue and I don't believe anyone has come up with a solution yet. Best bet for now is to either unplug the abs unit or pull the abs fuse in the interior fuse panels so you don't loose your heat and defroster again in the middle of winter.

my thought would be wiring

This is EXACTLY what happened to me 3 weeks back. I didn't even look into the problem either, nor did I even know the problems were related.... I will have to go swap that fuse from my parts car this morning so I can have heat and defrost again! :laugh: I have been in below freezing Michigan weather with no heat for too long. :help: Plus I have 9 inches of snow piled high on my car out there! Defrost will be good!

Replace the Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU).

In the meantime, remove fuse F7 in the under hood box to disable the ABS system so your fuse doesn't blow.

Steve

Replace the Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU).

can you please explain why the control unit, I am assuming for the abs, needs to be replaced? is there a pin point test that can be followed to confirm that the control unit is bad?

also aren't there a few different abs units? I know there is a different one for the post 98 if you have traction control. Is the control unit the same or part of the abs unit? if you swap it out can you still bleed the brakes normally if the abs unit has no brake fluid it it?

I went to swap out that same fuse that blew in my SVT and I can't get the darn thing out. It must be the bolt in style. Do all three of the big fuses (the 80, and the two 60's) come up as a giant peice to reveal the bolts? Anyone swapped these out before? I just know it is freezing out side and I don't want to tinker around trying to figure the dang thing out.

I went to swap out that same fuse that blew in my SVT and I can't get the darn thing out. It must be the bolt in style. Do all three of the big fuses (the 80, and the two 60's) come up as a giant peice to reveal the bolts? Anyone swapped these out before? I just know it is freezing out side and I don't want to tinker around trying to figure the dang thing out.
Yes, there are bolts for the giant ones. IIRC, CSVT1214 posted pictures of them in the old forums.

are these MAXI fuses or the goofy looking ones with a window thing on it?

They are the goofy looking ones with the window on them.

Yes, there are bolts for the giant ones. IIRC, CSVT1214 posted pictures of them in the old forums.

I will have to go check it out. I want heat and ABS back. :) Now time to figure out why it blew. :ponder: Short in the abs somewhere I'd suspect.

that fuse was a bigger pita to change than I thought. :( Maybe the below freezing weather with no gloves on didn't help, but the darn piece with all 3 fuses that you have to pull up didn't want to come out! The moment I tried to grab the 8 mil to pop the bolts the whole thing would slip through my fingers and slide back into the PDB and I would have to start all over. :mad:

Glad I have heat again though!

My new (to me) '98 SVT has the same exact problem. Steve (projectSHO89) is the hydralic control unit the only possible problem? It can't be fun or cheap to replace. I may have a spare one or two though on parts vehicles.

To everyone else, as far as getting the fuse out, you have to pull the panel with the 3 fuses up and unbolt them from the sides. Use a flat blade screwdriver and be patient and careful not to break anything. Also, be sure to disconnect your battery first!!!

guess i need to investigate, my ABS light will turn on on start up, and then it'll turn off for awhile, until i get on the brakes in the snow, then it comes back on, and the ABS has never kicked in, yet the light turns off after driving a bit. :confused:

guess i need to investigate, my ABS light will turn on on start up, and then it'll turn off for awhile, until i get on the brakes in the snow, then it comes back on, and the ABS has never kicked in, yet the light turns off after driving a bit. :confused:

You need to come over so we can have a little ABS investigation party. The ABS light is doing the same thing in my car now and I am afraid I will blow that fuse again and lose heat. :( Just pray you don't blow that fuse because it is a bugger to replace.

Back