• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ticking/knocking after spark plug hole retap

allstyle12

CEG'er
Well it appears my car is making kocking and ticking noise after I repaired a stripped spark plug hole on cylinder 4.

All shavings were cleaned out, runs smooth, has power, just a constant loud knocking noise...almost sounds like a stuck lifter.

Noise almost completely goes away when the spark plug wire isn't attached to the spark plug.

Thinking of parting the car out. Don't want to go 3L. Too much time and work involved. Can't find an SVT motor anywhere.

Hate to get rid of it.....but damn....

Tried that. Same noise. You think it could be a stuck lash adjuster? I did take off the valve cover...but not sure how it would have got stuck.

I used the Lisle kit with the inserts. Great kit!

The picture above is the one I took out. I had to put loctite on the spark plug to get the insert out.

Found an SE motor for cheap. No SVT motors anywhere!

I'm going to take off the valve cover to see if a lash adjuster is collapsed.

I think before I started pulling things apart, I'd pull all six spark plugs, block open the throttle plate, and run a compression test on all 6 holes. If there's a leak around the heli-coiled plug, or there's a valve problem, either not fully opening, or not fully closing, it should show up as a low compression cylinder.
Give the spark plugs a thorough inspection while they're out, look carefully for damage to the insulators at both ends, carbon tracking on the post insulator, cracks, sometimes the ceramic core will come un-bonded from the steel shank and create a leak, the last one happened to me a few years ago on another vehicle in my stable. Just buy and install a new set if there's any doubts.
Check the resistance of the plug wires while they're disconnected, I start to suspect plug wires if they go much over 10K ohms per foot.
If the compression test shows hole 4 as low, maybe next borrow a leak down tester and see how it compares to the other 5 holes?
If the plug is leaking on cylinder 4, you might also see some evidence in a close inspection of the spark plug boot and the spark plug bore.
Then maybe you want to rent a bore scope from VatoZone and look inside cylinder 4?
Don't know why a lash adjuster would chose to collapse randomly like that, but if you can't find anything else, pull the V/C and look.

Rings confirmed damaged. Getting lots of oil on plugs.

I'd hate to get rid of it....

Thinking the 3.0 route, but not sure which one....

Will a 2001 Taurus engine be a simple swap?

Looking to do the easiest swap with a 3.0.

If not, I'll just get a used 2.5 se motor. Maybe put on my intake and injectors?

Rings confirmed damaged. Getting lots of oil on plugs.

I'd hate to get rid of it....

Thinking the 3.0 route, but not sure which one....

Will a 2001 Taurus engine be a simple swap?

Looking to do the easiest swap with a 3.0.

If not, I'll just get a used 2.5 se motor. Maybe put on my intake and injectors?

Me and you both! I don't think the Taurus is too hard. You need the NPG fuel rail mod, and an Escape oil pan at the least

Back