• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#2318 is down for awhile.

RaptorSVT

Veteran CEG'er
Tonganoxie, KS. Don't blink! You'll miss it!!
I regret to inform my fellow CEG'ers that my CSVT is down. Spun a main bearing and snapped #6 rod. Soooooo while I am earning the $6500 to get her ALL fixed up, I am driving my new toy. 1990 Dodge Daytona ES. FUN little car!! Also, I posted this in the Aesthetics forum but I figured a re-post wouldnt hurt. Would anyone like to hightower/eyelid my headlights? I will pay shipping both ways and also kick in a little for labor. I figured since it will be down for awhile, might as well hightower it. Thanks guys!

I'm still driving a 1985 Dodge Lancer ES Turbo. My Mystique got the winter off. My car has a Daytona's seats and shifter, digital dash, kind of a 4 door Daytona..As far as I know, 1990 Daytonas were turbocharged 4cyl or a V6.

They came in I4, turbo 4, and v6. I had an 88 Daytona back in the day. It was just a 4 cyl., but man was that car fun. The turbo 4s sometimes had issues with the head gasket, but otherwise were fairly reliable. I really miss that car sometimes! It was the first car I ever really modded. Just aesthetic and audio mods, but you have to start somewhere!

The audio in the Lancer is definitely modded, a mixture of modern and very old components. I raised the boost to 10 PSI,the aesthetic mods consist of naturally weathered paint on the top surfaces and new hubcaps:crazy:

to answer questions in order:

1) The $6500 (approx) is for a Jasper REMANUFACTURED 2.5 SVT motor ($3380 + $1500 for labor), New Stage 1 clutch, new throwout bearing, resurfaced flywheel (approx $550), rotate/balance tires ($45 or so), alignment ($80), right rear trailing arm (bent, $80-$100?), and some misc. stuff.

2) The Daytona is a 1990 ES 3.0 V6. N/A. Bought it for $500 with a Jasper tranny AND engine in it. Only real problems are the electrical gremlins and the odometer/trip odometer do not work. It also has the Infinity 6 speaker sound system.

3) Again, would anyone like to hightower my 'Tour headlights?

Why go with another 2.5??? The power you get from a 3L makes it SO worth it!!!
3K installed on a 3L is 10x better...

to answer questions in order:

1) The $6500 (approx) is for a Jasper REMANUFACTURED 2.5 SVT motor ($3380 + $1500 for labor), New Stage 1 clutch, new throwout bearing, resurfaced flywheel (approx $550), rotate/balance tires ($45 or so), alignment ($80), right rear trailing arm (bent, $80-$100?), and some misc. stuff.

2) The Daytona is a 1990 ES 3.0 V6. N/A. Bought it for $500 with a Jasper tranny AND engine in it. Only real problems are the electrical gremlins and the odometer/trip odometer do not work. It also has the Infinity 6 speaker sound system.

3) Again, would anyone like to hightower my 'Tour headlights?

I should have made this statement eariler. The shop doing the swap will only warranty the work if I use the engine they provide, I.E. SVT 2.5...I am very well aware of the benefits of a 3.0 but if I go with the reman 2.5 SVT motor I have a 3yr/70K warranty. I would really like to do a 3.0 but I would also love to have the 3yr/70k. I have never owned any vehicle that had a warranty. Plus....if I am going 3.0, I would want all new internals, turbo (might as well), a few tranny mods, etc. Basically when the warranty runs out on the jasper engine I will be lookin at already having a 3.0 built and ready.

you realize that you can put in two 3L motors in for the same price...i don't know how that looks as a warranty...but if you can blow 2 motors in 3 years....hmmm...i'd do 3L now and with the money left over do a 3L in 3years (if you need it) or get a built tranny cuz your differential is probably to go....for the same total price....

This is what I got. http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=444
The cost is about 2/3 what you intended to pay.
I have so far close to 7000 happy miles. It really is a different beast now.
So if a motor is nicely done, you should have no problem to get it going. The added warranty the shop is telling you may worth nothing when some problem really shows up, and you would not be able to do anything to it like an intake, exhaust etc because they can claim it's YOU that mods the car and hence void the warranty.

You should get a prepped 3L from either Buckshot (Rick) or Blackcoog (Chris), a HMS tranny with LSD. With shipping and installation labor, you would still have some sizable change left in your pocket.

Yeah, don't waste all of that money on another failure prone 2.5 :nonono:

Get at least a 3L, Spec Stage 3 and a Torsen, I guarantee you wont regret it.

Well guys n gals...I have thought about it....and I am goin Three-point-OH!!! I know in the 3l forum there is a list of parts but I need to know from someone that has done a 3.0....what do I HAVE to have to straight-swap the motor? Will the 2.5 computer/sensors/etc work with the 3.0? The mechanic that has the car now seems to think that the computer and things for the 2.5 will not run the 3.0 properly and will cause the engine to fail in one way or another. I also made the realization that for the price of a reman 2.5 and shop labor, I could have a 3.0, new clutch, all other things done and still have about 3k left......anyway thanks again for all the help everyone. PLEASE get back with me on what SPECIFIC parts I NEED to do a 3.0.......

With that $3000, you could get a fully built transmission from Terry Haines, and have about a grand left over.

Search the archives, and the archives in the old forums, and reread everything about 3L engins eleven times. You'll learn three things in the time it takes to ask about one thing.

Back