• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

"Pull" After cleaning UIM & LIM

dreinertuwm

New CEG'er
Sorry I know this has probably been asked 1000 times in one way or another but here goes.

My 99 CSVT has 132,000 miles, I got it @ 126,000miles. I know the secondaries are supposed to open at 3400 RPM when wide open and people say they can feel a decent pull when they open. I haven't cleaned and know the previous owner never cleaned the UIM or LIM. After reviewing the How-to last night I was thinking of doing it if it willl result in better performance. If I was to drive WOT and close my eyes I wouldn't be able to feel the difference between 3,000 RPM and 4,000.

So my question is should I clean them and if I do will I likely get the "pull" back?

If any of this helps...
I have new plugs and K&N cone filter, and will be using new plug wires next month. I get around 24-28mpg depending on travel.

Thanks for the help, sorry for the repeated type of quesions.

dreinertuwm

Secondaries open at 3850 IIRC.

Have someone rev the engine while you watch the butterfly linkage.

The best way would to completely remove the UIM and LIM and completely clean them. Next best would be seafoaming. I'm sure some of the SVT guys will chime in shortly.

The best way would to completely remove the UIM and LIM and completely clean them. Next best would be seafoaming. I'm sure some of the SVT guys will chime in shortly.
Closer to 3450 I believe. OP had it right. However, definitely check the linkage. Seafoaming is pretty easy and you can find out what you need about it by searching. You basically disconnect a vacuum line and sip a bit of Seafoam into it and into the engine, and the exhaust will smoke a LOT, which is a good thing :D

WOT = 3400rpm
driving around 3800

NO matter what they should be opened at 4100 rpms.

Def clean the uim/lim's. You will get a few ponies and some better mpg.:cool:

WOT = 3400rpm
driving around 3800

NO matter what they should be opened at 4100 rpms.

Def clean the uim/lim's. You will get a few ponies and some better mpg.:cool:
So we were both kind of right...

Anyway just run the seafoam through the motor as said, then make sure you change out your plugs. A howto should tell you everything you need to know.

I can tell you this, I did the seafoam method, and then a week later took the UIM and LIM off, and they looked as if nothing was touched... you're better off buying the gaskets, and taking it apart, and cleaning them the right way!

I can tell you this, I did the seafoam method, and then a week later took the UIM and LIM off, and they looked as if nothing was touched... you're better off buying the gaskets, and taking it apart, and cleaning them the right way!

yes for a first time cleaning I do not support the seafoam method. as routine maintinence after a complete tear down/cleaning/rebuild, sure ...

yes for a first time cleaning I do not support the seafoam method. as routine maintinence after a complete tear down/cleaning/rebuild, sure ...

EXACTLY... 132K miles and seafoam isn't going to do much but cause a bunch of smoke...

seafoam is for lazy people. to be done right the first time you NEED to pull it all apart,including removing the lim so you can get in the head ports too.

Off with you and your Zetec! Don't you have some SVTs to beat at autoX or something? :laugh:

To the OP-I cleaned mine for the first time at about 85,000 miles and they were rather clean still, but most of those are highway miles too. You should be able to feel a slight push, but really you should be able to hear the difference. At your mileage, it definitely cannot hurt to pull and clean the UIM. Its not a bad job to do.

i remember at 68000 a used 17 cans of cleaner. it was HORRID. but boy was throttle response nice afterwards.

I'm sure the person that rang up your bill probably looked at you like WTF? :laugh:

I guess either way has its pro's and con's. The wiring harness is fragile and moving it around when taking off the manifolds could cause the insulation to crack. Of course, you can clean them a lot better.

I'm sure the person that rang up your bill probably looked at you like WTF? :laugh:

I guess either way has its pro's and con's. The wiring harness is fragile and moving it around when taking off the manifolds could cause the insulation to crack. Of course, you can clean them a lot better.

He probably made many trips... not thinking it would take so much. They probably laughed when he came to the register everytime.

You guys are funny...

It is a PCM commanded 3200 rpm WOT, 3750 otherwise...

I think your funny....because demon's website states 3400:shrug:

When i was driving around with my tuner he showed me my IMRC listings and recommended i leave it alone for now. Only till we figure out the rest of the details. I saw it listed at 3400 rpms.

IIRC warmonger left the secondaries in that car? Maybe your thinking about your car ray when you mentioned this?

Wow, thanks for the responses and input. I will definately check the linkage and followup with a full cleanup.

Thanks for the help.

dreinertuwm

UIM/LIM change out?

UIM/LIM change out?

I have a 99 contour se sport w/5 sd. I have a valve tap that would not go away. I ended up pulling the top of the engine to replace the lifters.
Q; Should I replace my stock UIM/LIM, tb with ones from a SVT? Or can I just mod mine and go with a bigger tb?

I already opened up the y-pipe thanks to this site.
I have not done anything to the 2 manifold cat's but I did remove the main cat and made new high flow exhaust.
Since I have it all apart, I figured I should do it now. I do costume precision welding and fab, so I have done everything my self.
Any suggestions?
And how should I handle my PCM after I do this work.
Thank you

Docweld
99 se sport
steal blue

I have a 99 contour se sport w/5 sd. I have a valve tap that would not go away. I ended up pulling the top of the engine to replace the lifters.
Q; Should I replace my stock UIM/LIM, tb with ones from a SVT? Or can I just mod mine and go with a bigger tb?

I already opened up the y-pipe thanks to this site.
I have not done anything to the 2 manifold cat's but I did remove the main cat and made new high flow exhaust.
Since I have it all apart, I figured I should do it now. I do costume precision welding and fab, so I have done everything my self.
Any suggestions?
And how should I handle my PCM after I do this work.
Thank you

Docweld
99 se sport
steal blue

You'd be better off to make your own new thread instead of hijacking this one.

Personally I think you'd be better off just buying a SVT LIM/UIM and swapping them over. It's pretty straight forward and you won't have to mess around with fitting a custom manifold on.

Back