• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Moving away from VBulletin

Status
Not open for further replies.

rouar

fixer
Admin
Hi all,

The CEG Administration team has decided to migrate the forum software away from VBulletin.

Why?
VBulletin has a number of backend issues including performance, scalability and support.​

What's the new software?
After extensive research, we have chosen Xenforo. It is easier to maintain, and offers features and plugins that will allow CEG to evolve. Most importantly, it has a similar look-and-feel to VBulletin.​

When?

edit 10/23/21: We plan to start the migration on Nov 11, lasting through the weekend. CEG will be down during this period.

We are targeting Christmas week. Maybe earlier, maybe later.

We will provide advanced notice here, and post updates on the CEG Facebook page.

The software has been purchased. It is currently being tested to ensure that the transition is as seamless as possible.

CEG will be down for several days. This is a volunteer effort. The data import process only takes a few hours, but there are many custom configurations -- like the site theme and usergroup permissions -- that need to be done manually.

(To give a sense of the scale of the effort: I have created a 9-page document of step by step instructions, and it is still growing as we discover more to fix.)​

Will my account still work?
The migration should be seamless. You can still log in with your existing username and password. Threads, PM's, post counts, profiles, etc. will all be migrated.​

About those post counts.
We discovered that VBulletin post counts are inaccurate due to software design. After the migration, we will be fully rebuilding post counts. You may see a slight discrepancy.​

Will old links still work?
Yes. Xenforo has a redirect script for old vbulletin links.​

What about the archives?
The archives will remain on their own instance of UBBThreads for now.​

I have more questions.
Post away - we are happy to answer if we can.​

Attachments

• sample.png
    sample.png
    988.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Figures I just hit 16k posts and now it could end up being only 369 because I always just reply to myself. :confused:

Well I will see you gents on the other side. Wish I could be of assistance. I don't currently have a laptop. These darn phones do almost everything.

Well I will see you gents on the other side. Wish I could be of assistance. I don't currently have a laptop. These darn phones do almost everything.

Hey, what about me? LOL

Joe, we'll make sure to write your post count down before the switch. :) Keep on repying to yourself.

Quick update. Things are happening behind the scenes.
  1. On 10/3 I posted that the migration instructions document was 9 pages long. It's now 14 pages and growing. :shocked:
  2. Testing is ongoing. Things are looking good.
  3. We are on target to migrate in November or December. When a date is set, it will be announced.

We plan to start the migration on Nov 11, lasting through the weekend. CEG will be down during this period.

Matt.

Once again, LUCA and I cannot thank you enough for all of your hard work! I've been playing on the forums tonight via both phone and desktop and I can not believe the incredible difference performance!!

Yes, what Dave said! Night and day difference.
Thank you, Matt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back