• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Time to start tearing out those 3.0's?

mmc757

Veteran CEG'er
There seems to be some evidence that the SVT's might have a legitimate collectors afterlife...
Does anyone think we will we start seeing 2.5l restorations anytime soon?

I've got two sets of SVT heads and blocks laying around right now that I keep telling myself to scrap for the aluminum, but I might just keep them around in case they come back into fashion.
Actually, I could have a fully dressed SVT engine put together for the cost of software if I thought it would be worth the trouble...Its a lot easier to store that stuff in pieces though.

Kind of hard to say, I don't believe the value would change that much from 2.5 to the 3.0. The only way I would see the value of the car being hurt is if it had extremely low miles on it. Otherwise I would think the 3.0 would help the value just because of the added power. They maybe worth a little bit down the road to a few but not a widespread collector like a lightning, Grand National or a Typhoon. Which I am glad to see because people bought these cars to drive not just sit in a garage somewhere

That's why I didn't go for a 3.0L upgrade and instead, I am taking my chances on this SVT block rebuild I am doing. I mean why would I ruin a car that has completely original parts anyways? Granted I do have upgraded rods, replacement pistons, and one sleeved cylinder but it shouldn't run any different from when it came from the factory since it's staying a 2.5L. Also, I have a sport to upgrade and play with for that 3.0L stuff.

Sadly low production doesn't always equal collectability and this is true for many vehicles . Really the only ones that would command any kind of money if someone was looking for an unusual Ford would be a very low mile showroom condition one . Collector car insurance companies won't insure it ( I tried even though it's not an svt it only has 70K on it ) they told me the same for the svt I asked . They did how ever give one for my fox mustang , funny since they made millions of them over the life cycle but that's how it is I guess. Hagerty doesn't even have a price guide value on the SVT contour which is probably why you cannot get collectors insurance but they do for my fox mustang and again they made a **** ton of them . I would just drive it and not even think of it and that is the best part about these cars , they are fun to drive.

Sadly low production doesn't always equal collectability and this is true for many vehicles . Really the only ones that would command any kind of money if someone was looking for an unusual Ford would be a very low mile showroom condition one . Collector car insurance companies won't insure it ( I tried even though it's not an svt it only has 70K on it ) they told me the same for the svt I asked . They did how ever give one for my fox mustang , funny since they made millions of them over the life cycle but that's how it is I guess. Hagerty doesn't even have a price guide value on the SVT contour which is probably why you cannot get collectors insurance but they do for my fox mustang and again they made a **** ton of them . I would just drive it and not even think of it and that is the best part about these cars , they are fun to drive.

Well the one thing wrong with this is the age difference of a contour and a foxbody. I think if we wait another 10-20 years the outcome could be that the price goes up. I mean my dad has a 944 non turbo and those are starting to shoot up in price. Granted it is a porsche but still you don't know until you know.

Back