$%^&@* AVG Free!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $%^&@* AVG Free!!!

So my AVG Free 7.5x finally took a crap and they are no longer updating it. I refuse to install 8.0 because it is a HUGE resource hog Do you guys have any recommendation for a good free AV program to replace AVG Free? Thanks in advance.
    The Ignore list : Giving us the ability to surf CEG while keeping our blood pressure's in check, since 2008...

I use avast, it uses so little resources. Amazing speed up even compared to AVG 7.5, WAY better than AVG 8
    I strongly abide by the motto, "Safety third."

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.

Comment

Does it self update like AVG?
      The Ignore list : Giving us the ability to surf CEG while keeping our blood pressure's in check, since 2008...

Comment

yes, constantly. Make sure you go into your sound controls and shut off the sounds for updating the virus database.

Comment

Actually 8.0 pay version isn't too bad at all compared to the competition, I use the pay version. Lot more choices and serial number are sent to youn when you pay or if you look hard enough they're all around....
          Last edited by BK4293; 04-01-2009, 08:26 PM. Reason: 8MEH-RF3MY-BZGDJ-9LUAR-SLJWL-CEMBR-ACED
          Only Users Lose Drugs

Comment

Haha! Nice B2k. So you're saying it uses less resources than the free version? When using 8.0, my stupid fan would run non-stop on my Win98, 700Mhz, 256MB gaming machine.

Comment

Originally posted by EuroTour View Post
              Haha! Nice B2k. So you're saying it uses less resources than the free version? When using 8.0, my stupid fan would run non-stop on my Win98, 700Mhz, 256MB gaming machine.
              what kind of games can you play on a machine that weak? minesweeper?

Comment

hahahahah ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh some body just got roasted LOL

i had to be a instigator
                Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Comment

LOL. I use 8 and I've never seen my gauge go over 10% at idle or 20% when its updating/scanning.
                  2000 "Amazon" Tropic Green CSVT #836/2150

Comment

AVG 8 sucks. I installed it thinking its just an upgraded version, but damn, I didn't know that Vista could influence anyone to become that much worse.

I'd like to know if the pay version is better, resource wise. I may end up going with avast anyway.

Edit: and that google safe search crap is annoying too.
                    1995 Contour GL, Zetec, ATX, 118k - Sold
                    2012 Mitsubishi Lancer GT, 2.4L, CVT and it begins again.

Comment

I'm running AVG 7.5 free on my desktop and Avast on my laptop. Both seem to work fairly well but both are a bit quicker than your "gaming machine"...

Seriously though, on an older system anything that is a power hog really slows down the machine quite a bit. I'd try the Avast, for a free one it's pretty good...
                      02 Cougar Sport - Full 3.0L/HMS Trans/Koni Suspension
                      07 Focus SE ZX3 - FRPP Suspension/Gunmetal E1's/AVIC Navigation/Hitch - The DD
                      97 F150 - Toy Hauler

Comment

Originally posted by FunInNorthDakota View Post
                        what kind of games can you play on a machine that weak? minesweeper?
                        I can think of Command and Conquer titles Red Alert comes to mind.
                        4x4 5spd. Get some!

Comment

I was just giving him crap. I wish I had an older gaming rig honestly, cause I cant hardly play anything on this computer. Stupid Vista 64

Comment

Originally posted by BK4293 View Post
                            Actually 8.0 pay version isn't too bad at all compared to the competition, I use the pay version. Lot more choices and serial number are sent to youn when you pay or if you look hard enough they're all around....
                            Yeah, because AVG is AVGs competition...It's not as hoggish as McAfee, which is actually cheaper since I'm a Comcast subscriber, and forget Nortons....way too much lag.
                            Last edited by BK4293; 04-01-2009, 09:21 PM. Reason: You Michagan folks is smare
                            Only Users Lose Drugs

Comment

Duke Nukem FTMFW! The computer was a joke. I have a 1.8ghz AMD Turion 64, 512 MB, running XP. Even though, 8.0 would cause my fan to run almost constantly and bogged the :censored::censored::censored::censored: out of everything. it was running like 100k plus page sizes! I'm going to go with Avast for now, try something new, but might check out the pay version of AVG. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X