1999 BMW M Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 BMW M Roadster

My stepdad has one, and I'd like to get some more information on it and hopefully get him to do a few upgrades. I'm not too sure of where I should look in terms of a BMW board, something like ceg.

Its red, pretty much bone stock. I put new pads and rotors on it a little while ago as its in storage at my stepdads autoshop. It has like 65K miles on it and runs great, even though its a little weak at 240hp.

Last summer he took it to some shop and installed a pioneer HU and new speakers in the floorboards, door tweeters, and behind the seats, but I'm not real impressed. Any ideas there?
    Last edited by KennyT772; 03-03-2008, 10:56 PM.

i thought the m roadster had the same motor as the US spec M3 of the time...which was only 240hp. actually, i'm sure of it.
    1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760
    SOLD! and now RIP
    2001 Z06 - Quicksilver Metallic - 406RWHP
    1995 Impala SS - Black - Bunch of Lingenfelter stuff

Comment

Originally posted by TGO View Post
      i thought the m roadster had the same motor as the US spec M3 of the time...which was only 240hp. actually, i'm sure of it.

Depends on the year:

http://www.z3roadster.com/
      Adam

1998 Black E1 SVT
      1987 Mustang
      1990 DSM

In need of the following asap:
      *1ga DSM front fenders, bumper cover and hood

PM me if you can help!:o

Comment

don't ask me why, but i thought i read that it was a 90's model. lol. i'm seeing stuff now.
        SOLD! and now RIP

Comment

So uhh... that site says the OP is wrong? Says there were no M Roadsters in 1998, and backs up ol TGO by saying the 99 M only had 240hp? Plus Wikipedia backs him up again by saying the E36 M3's 3.2L engine is the same as the M Roadster...

Guess I'm confused at the relevance of the link posted

I wouldn't mind an SLK230. Changed my mind... I want an SLK32 AMG.
          Last edited by Big Daddy Kane; 03-04-2008, 08:35 PM.
          \m/ 2009 Jetta TDI \m/ 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V \m/

Comment

I'm pretty sure it only had 240hp. The M coupes had a bump in HP over it's life span, but I am pretty sure that was between 00 and 01 model years.

BTW I've had the pleasure of flogging one of these little buggers up and down woodward. While I was behind the wheel we happened to come across a Diablo and a Ferrari 360. Loads of fun ensued!!!!
            2009 Chevy Cobalt SS_259whp and 277wtq_bone stock

Comment

Very well could be 99/240, I just remember my stepdad mentioning the year and the hp number was something I read a while ago. Either way, I'm trying to find some bolt ons and a good forum for information on it.

Comment

Google is your friend man. This stuff isn't difficult. I miss having todd around to show noobies how the intranet werks.

Comment

I'm asking if anyone has a site they prefer or attend themselves. I'm no noob to the net and especially forums, but theres some to goto and some to stay away from. The couple of places I've already looked up haven't impressed me the way other boards have such as ceg and tpu.

Comment

Dion owns an M roadster. Try sending him a PM.

Comment

I use www.bimmerfest.com/forums and www.bimmerforums.com. Both are good-sized sites with knowledgeable people on them.

And yes, at one point there was a bump in the M Roadster's power, but that was when the last-gen M3 came out. They had stopped making the older motor.

And 240 hp in a car that small is more than enough to get you in huge legal trouble, or in huge trouble with the laws of physics.
                      98 Silver Frost SVT - SOLD :(
                      97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed

"Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future"

Comment

Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho View Post
                        I'm pretty sure it only had 240hp.
                        i kow for a fact it is. my friend had a 99 M3. Still a great car.

the euro spec m3's had 265hp...actually i think it was 275 but am not sure. i know it was more than we got here in the states.
                        SOLD! and now RIP

Comment

my roomate has a 99 m coup, that thing is a blast to drive (its definately a n enthusiast car, its not comforatble on long trips and is loud/lots of road noise... in my opinion). He just has an intake and a tune, and its not much slower than our other friends mach 1 (which runs a 13 flat). when he gets home ill ask him what forums he frequents.
                          Casey
                          former: 1998.5 Black SVT
                          current: 2001.5 Black S4

Comment

Another couple of items:

http://www.waycoolinc.com/z3/bimmerdump/4773.html

http://www.waycoolinc.com/z3/06/Bimm...uide122006.pdf

I just wish that I fit in one of these things. They look great, and are supposed to be a hoot to drive.
                            98 Silver Frost SVT - SOLD :(
                            97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed

"Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future"

Comment

beware of the Z3 (M roadster) form that era. they had many issues with rear subframe assembly welds coming undone in the early models, which some have seen on the M models due to the frame flexing under load.
                              2008 Acura MDX
                              2008 Saab 9-5 Aero Sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X