• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

transmission fluid blowing up past dip stick

maritimezx3

New CEG'er
i inherited my fathers mercury mystique , 4 cylinder automatic. - had to change the tranny as it was bad , put a used one in from a running car and it seems as if the fluid is blowing past the seal in the dipstick... is this common? i googled it , but it seems internal transmission problems may be the culprit . there is supposed to be no pressure there ? i have zero experience with automatic transmissions...

my CSVT brought me to this site back when i owned one. now im in a 4 banger zetec lol
thanks guys

I have a mechanic friend that had the same exact problem with a cougar. If it comes out the top of the tube and pushes the dipstick out. The problem is the housing vent. I didn't see exactly where this is but he told me later that once he cleaned this out the car worked great. It doesn't vent thru the dipstick and when pressure builds up in the transmission it burps fluid up thru the dipsick tube.

dennyb is correct. the vent line is pinched off or blocked. its supposed to be mounted to the battery tray and comes from a port on the top of the pan near the radiator. it looks like just a vacuum line that doesnt go anywhere.

100% correct ... is was jammed into the shifter linkage .. must have not seen it when he hooked everything back up.... she is breathing free now!!!

thank you again very helpful , hope this is helpful to someone in the future.. seems like a pretty easy thing to have happen if all it takes is a kinked line

Back