• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

air intake mod

Aussie Ford

Hard-core CEG'er
Has anyone put an SVT intake on a Z?

I came across an extra SVT intake in my stuff and was kicking around the idea of adding it to my Z. I ended up spending a lot of time trying to work out the IAT sensor and hoses.

Thought I'd ask you folks rather than reinventing it.

Regards,

AF

When I see an SVT I just consider it a parts car for my Zzzzzzz!

well since the svt and zetec maf use different mounts then it won't be a direct fit and you will have to get an adapter plate. but other then that i don't see y it wouldn't be an almost direct fit. other then the svt intake going straight toward the motor when the zetec's intake is suppose to go towards the firewall. i personally don't see the benefit when a custom box with a cone filter should yield similar results with less hassle.

im probly wrong here, but i think he's talking about the intake manifold...

common sense says this isn't right.

unless he is talking about the SVT Focus intake manifold.

in any case, its far simpler to make something fit that was designed for the car and engine you have than for something else entirely.

I"m pretty sure he's talking about a Focus SVT intake manifold. The SVT intake manifolds are dual stage. Air is directed through longer runners below 6000 rpm for more torque, and re-directed through shorter runners above 6K RPM for peak HP.

I"m pretty sure he's talking about a Focus SVT intake manifold. The SVT intake manifolds are dual stage. Air is directed through longer runners below 6000 rpm for more torque, and re-directed through shorter runners above 6K RPM for peak HP.
not to mention the svt contour's manifold is a v6 manifold which wouldn't fit on the zetec no matter how hard you tried.
i still think that he's talking about the filter box and tube not the manifold

I'm pretty sure he's talking about a Focus SVT intake manifold. The SVT intake manifolds are dual stage. Air is directed through longer runners below 6000 rpm for more torque, and re-directed through shorter runners above 6K RPM for peak HP.

If this is the case, I would be very interested to see the outcome/power gains!

I still think that he's talking about the filter box and tube not the manifold

I have a feeling this is what he is talking about :(

unless he is talking about the SVT Focus intake manifold.

in any case, its far simpler to make something fit that was designed for the car and engine you have than for something else entirely.

ahh, didn't think about this.

well since the svt and zetec maf use different mounts then it won't be a direct fit and you will have to get an adapter plate. but other then that i don't see y it wouldn't be an almost direct fit. other then the svt intake going straight toward the motor when the zetec's intake is suppose to go towards the firewall. i personally don't see the benefit when a custom box with a cone filter should yield similar results with less hassle.
Well I must say a couple of the fellas put some new ideas in my head now...... but you are correct the MAF is different so I would just remove the MAF from the 95 housing and install it in the SVT housing. The airbox itself mounts in the same bracket however one must change the connection that goes through the fender. From the MAF one must head it off to the TB and as of now I haven't found a airhose that will work. I think going directly to the TB will require some doing since one must remove the resonator and that section has the IAT in it. So the issues are piping to the TB and mounting the IAT sensor.

I don't know if there is a benifit other than to do it and add another SVT part to my GL 4 banger...... but what the heck why not! and I have it.... LOL

AF

PS: keep the ideas coming...... thanks

You will have to replace the plastic piece that connects the filter box to the fender with one from and svt. to remove it you have to remove the fender though. (if memory serves)

If you want to replace the entire intake you might as well go with solid piping, like spectre piping, instead of the accordion tube. All you would have to do at that point with the IAT sensor is to put a rubber grommet on it for sealing purposes and stick it in the side of the pipe, and use a rubber coupling for attaching the pipe to the TB and MAF sensor.
With the IAT sensor I am assuming that it is of the same design as the on on the 98+. but the principal should be the same even if it is different.

hope this helps some.

You will have to replace the plastic piece that connects the filter box to the fender with one from and svt. to remove it you have to remove the fender though. (if memory serves)

If you want to replace the entire intake you might as well go with solid piping, like spectre piping, instead of the accordion tube. All you would have to do at that point with the IAT sensor is to put a rubber grommet on it for sealing purposes and stick it in the side of the pipe, and use a rubber coupling for attaching the pipe to the TB and MAF sensor.
With the IAT sensor I am assuming that it is of the same design as the on on the 98+. but the principal should be the same even if it is different.

hope this helps some.
I have the piece that goes through the fender and it is a very simple two bolt swap out inside the engine compartment. You don't need to take the fender off. I have been thinking about using ABS fittngs to route from the MAF to the TB. I did that on my 02 Ram and it worked well. The 98 & 95 IAT's are different in the way they mount. The 95 screws into the plastic section that has a brass threaded insert in it. I thought about doing just what you suggest but use a 98+ IAT however the out puts aare also different. Then I was thinking about taking a hole saw and cutting that area around the insert out and using a slightly smaller hole saw make a hole in an ABS fitting and gluing the piece in so I could then screw in the 95 IAT. Just thinking...... I have some other thoughts about it too.

Still tinkering,
AF

the non-SVT piece that goes through the fender is much larger and doesnt just bolt in from the engine bay. you will have to pull at least the fender liner (maybe the entire fender, i dont remember) to get to all the bolts for it

See pics, this is the part that goes through the fender and attachs from the engine compartment. This is interchangable between the standard air box either for a Z or v6 and an SVT cone. You only have two screws to change it. The part in the fender hooks up to it no problem. Then the SVT cone air box mounts in the same bracket as the standard air box. This is all the easy part. Of course the yellow zip ties are a custom thing...... LOL

09-01-11_0701..jpg09-01-11_0702..jpg
09-01-11_0703..jpg09-01-11_0700..jpg

AF

hmm, im pretty sure my 97 all bolted in from inside the fender and that piece was not removable from the rest of it. perhaps they changed it in 98 because of the SVT using the different air filter housing.

Well my friend we will see at some point. If you are correct I'll just have to fix that and ad to the upgrade..... LOL

Yesterday I was at the pick n pull and did a bit of checking. I pulled the filter box and the flex connector between the box and the fender mounted piece. I didn't have time to remove the fuse box and check but what I saw was at least one of the two screws (rear one) and the shape of the piece over all was the correct shape. It looked just like the piece I took out of my 99 SE v6 when I installed the SVT intake on it. I think the piece inside the engine compartment is the same and is removable. I do know that the shape of the inner fender air intake is different. According to the Ford disk it has tuned resonators depending on application.

I hope to have time soon to tinker with this. I should have my 02 Ram 4.7 back together today and purring like a kitten with the rebuilt heads. What a PIA that engine is to work on...... makes a Contour seem simple...... LOL

But then I have to do the new p-brake cables on the 95 and upgrade the front brakes to E0's.

AF

Back