Ignition Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Upgrade

I am contemplating upgrading ignition of my 2.0L LX 'Tour with ATX by installing a MSD PN 61112 DIS Plus Ignition Control Unit. However, this is a costly upgrade therefore before proceeding I am using this medium to ascertain whether anyone has done a similar upgrade and or any comments as to whether this is a project worth considering.

Don't need it on the Zetec.
    2008 Mazdaspeed3 Sport "The Angry Goose"
    1979 Mazda Rx7
    2000 SUPERCHARGED Ford Contour Zetec- sold 10/20/05

Comment

yeah its really not needed. if you feel you must do something then go with either the Accel or MSD coil pack and the Ford Racing plug wires.
      TZT Performance http://www.tztperformance.com/
      officially a troll. '93 3000GT VR4 #2229/2595

'00 Black SVTC - sold 5/1/10
      '97 GL Turbo Zetec - gone

Comment

Ignition Upgrade

Thanks for the response folks it's greatly appreciated you guys have saved me some big bucks

Comment

Defintiely go with the MSD coil pack. I had an Accel pack go bad on me. It cracked causing misfires. Others had similar problems.

HTH,
          BP
          --'96 GL * MTX Zetec-- SOLD! 3-12-2011
          --- '06 Mazda 6s * 3L Duratec * 6-speed ATX * Lapis Blue ---
          FOR SALE >> T3 Super 60 Turbo - Coated Focus Manifold - 42# FRPP Injectors - Focus CFM Throttle Body << FOR SALE (PM me)

Comment

Originally posted by striker2 View Post
            yeah its really not needed. if you feel you must do something then go with either the Accel or MSD coil pack and the Ford Racing plug wires.
            I've had a problem finding the Ford Racing plug wires. I have been told that they aren't made anymore.

What does the MSD coil pack do and how much of an improvement is it?
            1998 Contour 4-cyl MTX - SOLD

Comment

The wires aren't made anymore. I just ordered a set from SP Motorsports, but they were shipped from BAT. So you might check with BAT and see if they have any left.
              See, you think I give a . Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking, "How can I give less of a ?" That's why I look interested.
              I know there's a god, because every once in a while someone whispers in my ear, "You're my favorite!"

Comment

or else you can buy a set to cut yourself from MSD, like a 9mm or 10mm wire. if you are handy, you can make 2 sets with one box because they have 8 wires in them.

oh and i have a MSD dis-4 on my contour SVT. it's costly, and very tricky to wire. if you have no experience in this sort of thing, i wouldnt recommend it. honestly, you dont need it unless you want a timing retard for some reason (mine being nitrous) it's really an upgrade for the time you surpass your stock ignition, which will occur never on a zetec because the motor will most likely never be raised to that potential. the dis-4 works great though, it gives nice low end power, and have many options for timing curve, launch limiters, etc. i backed it up with some ford racing 9mm plug wires and solid core NGK plugs :)
                R.I.P. CSVT "clockwork" totaled 10/29/10 n/a 3L 220whp 212 trq

Comment

Had the MSD coil/ MSD wires on my Tour. Worked great!
                  2008 Mazdaspeed3 Sport "The Angry Goose"
                  1979 Mazda Rx7
                  2000 SUPERCHARGED Ford Contour Zetec- sold 10/20/05

Comment

Working...
                  X