No announcement yet.

Can a Cat wear out? 172k on the clock.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a Cat wear out? 172k on the clock.

On my MTX, I have a CEL (P0420 I think) saying catalyst inefficiency. The previous owner said that he had just replaced both of the sensors and that didn't fix it. Both of them do look brand new. It's not loosing antifreeze so the O2 sensors shouldn't be screwed up.

The car as 172k on it. Could the cat have worn out?

Thanks,
    Ben
    --'96 GL * MTX Zetec-- SOLD! 3-12-2011
    --- '06 Mazda 6s * 3L Duratec * 6-speed ATX * Lapis Blue ---
    FOR SALE >> T3 Super 60 Turbo - Coated Focus Manifold - 42# FRPP Injectors - Focus CFM Throttle Body << FOR SALE (PM me)

I'm retarded. Mod, please move this to Zetec Maintenance.
    FOR SALE >> T3 Super 60 Turbo - Coated Focus Manifold - 42# FRPP Injectors - Focus CFM Throttle Body << FOR SALE (PM me)

Comment

I would say the cat is done. They won't last forever and 172k is good amount on a stock cat.
      2008 Mazdaspeed3 Sport "The Angry Goose"
      1979 Mazda Rx7
      2000 SUPERCHARGED Ford Contour Zetec- sold 10/20/05

Comment

Thanks Hector.

Hmmmm. Time to build or buy a MIL eliminator. ...and gut my cat. :D

BP

Comment

Have you cleared the codes?
          1998 Mystique LS 2.5 Duratec ATX
          1985 Dodge Lancer ES Turbo 2.2
          1991 Taurus SHO, 45kmiles

Comment

Yep. It comes right back.

Comment

Bah. I had my batt disconnected overnight this weekend. Reconnected and the car ran better than ever. Yesterday the stupid CEL came on. Now it feels like it has pulled a bunch of timing.

I've gotta get those MILs. Either the cat is borderline bad or the lower O2 is almost bad.

BP

Comment

Cats may lose efficiency over time especialy if the gas in the area is off poor quality. Then again 172k is a very long time so i'm not suprised.
                -ex-"Owner of the one and only ROFLcar.":)
                1996 Contour SE MTX
                139,000+ miles
                -current: 01 Accord VP

Comment

Does your exhaust smell like rotten eggs?
                  2011 Mustang GT/CS (1 of 40) GT500 axleback exhaust
                  2000 T-Red CSVT (CAI, FSVT's)

Comment

Originally posted by black98svt View Post
                    Does your exhaust smell like rotten eggs?
                    that may not always be a sign of a failing cat ... they can break down and plug up ...

needless to say, knock on wood, I have 187k on what I believe is the original cat and O2 sensor and I don't have any issues that I am aware of ...
                    - 12 Focus SE
                    - 99 Contour SeVT <- 3L/NPG Turbo
                    - 2k Contour SVT - #2137

Comment

Cat failure is more common in vehicles that are driven for continual short hops. Since, in those situations, the vehicle doesn't get up to operating temperature, you're more likely to foul your cats with unburned fuel, etc. If you're a high mileage, highway driver, you may just have happened to reach the point, via whatever factors, where your cat(s) are at the end of their useful life.

For what its worth, my SHO with over 220,000 miles had its original cats, and they were fine. But I did 30K a year, easy.
                      2000 Tropic Green Contour SVT
                      1994 Opal Frost Taurus SHO -- SOLD!

"Have you ever seen a spleen that large?"
                      "No -- no -- not since breakfast."

Comment

I would say go ahead and stick a MIL eliminator in the downstream sensor, but the real problem is the loss of performance, not the annoying CEL.

Replacing the whole manifold/cat assembly is prohibitively expensive, too.

I think it's time for some headers.

Comment

Hello! First poster here, nice forum you all run here!

My girlfriend's '97 MystaKe has the same problem. the code shows up fo the catalyctic converter but she had the upper O2 sensor blown out and the car ran fine for a week or so.. then the CEL came back on again.. the car itslef has 130,000 but the enine only has 5000.. this problem has been coming and going for about 2 months now on and off.

does anyone know where to get the sensor for a decent price? I figure we'll try the cheap fix first b4 trying the expensive cat replacemnt.

Comment

Remember that Ford also offers 8 year 80,000 mileage emissions coverage...

I just realized that you said 174,000 not 74,000!

Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by kickaxeguitars View Post
                              Hello! First poster here, nice forum you all run here!

My girlfriend's '97 MystaKe has the same problem. the code shows up fo the catalyctic converter but she had the upper O2 sensor blown out and the car ran fine for a week or so.. then the CEL came back on again.. the car itslef has 130,000 but the enine only has 5000.. this problem has been coming and going for about 2 months now on and off.

does anyone know where to get the sensor for a decent price? I figure we'll try the cheap fix first b4 trying the expensive cat replacemnt.
                              You can test the O2 sensors you know. I would suggest Murrays if you can for the O2 sensor. Use a high quality Sensor (Bosch, Motorcraft etc)

Here is a link at the Shotimes FAQ on testing an )2 sensor:
                              http://www.shotimes.com/php-bin/modu...thold=0&sid=87

Comment

Working...
                              X