• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Can a Cat wear out? 172k on the clock.

The MIL eliminator was definitely installed correctly. I checked it after the CEL came back on.

I did find out what was causing all of the problems... A bad coil pack.

Yesterday morning when I was heading to work, something went really wrong. My car bucked, shuddered, and even backfired :shocked: all with absolutely no power. The CEL starting blinking at me. I limped to work and then back home. When I checked for CELs, I found...

P0135 02 Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire
P0171 Bank 1 Too Lean

I went and bought two shiny new Bosch O2 sensors for $130. The upper was caked with soot/crud. It didn't fix it though. :blackeye:

I pulled the plugs, and sure enough, plugs 1-3 were fine but plug 4 had signs of running rich or not firing. I had just replaced the spark plugs, wires, and injectors a little over 1000 miles ago. I knew they were fine. It could only be one thing. I replaced the coil pack...

Now it runs better than it EVER has. :cool: No CELs and FINALLY plenty of timing advance.

I'm guessing that the failing coil pack caused random minor misfires on cylinder 4. Over time all of the unburned/partially burned fuel screwed up the upper O2 sensor. Because the upper 02 sensor was borderline, the computer thought that the cat was bad. This is why the MIL eliminator didn't work.

I near stock form, my MTX Zetec kicks my old ATX Zetec's a$$. I can't wait to get my CAI, UDP, FPR and fuel pump on there from my wrecked ATX. :drool:

BP

Back