• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine silently dying...?

Balz11

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Okay, I tried searching for this issue so hopefully I'm not doubling up on something someone's already touched on. Just found my PCV hose had a hole, so it got a retainer and filter for now(not sure if it could be what's causing the issue). But the last couple times I've driven the car, after about 25 or so mins of driving I'm coasting to a stop and my engine dies. Battery light comes on, but my radio never stops, and the battery was just replaced about a year ago. No scary idling or sudden surge or anything, you don't even notice it until you try to turn the wheel with no power steering or try to give gas and nothing happens. Any ideas? I have an OBDLink so even some options as to what I should log when it happens would be a great start. Your time is much appreciated everyone!

Try the EGR valve first. You need to put a plug on the vacuum line and drive it again to see if that fixes it. Too much EGR at idle will make the engine die. If that isn't it then the idle speed motor may have issues.

Try the EGR valve first. You need to put a plug on the vacuum line and drive it again to see if that fixes it. Too much EGR at idle will make the engine die. If that isn't it then the idle speed motor may have issues.

Haven't gotten to it, but did get the new hose (was apparently the crankcase emission control hose, among other names) and the car is back to the regular occasional spurts of jerking, but hasn't died since.

Back