• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Disabling PATS

SpeedingBolt

New CEG'er
I have a 98 Zetec (didn't have PATS) that I have swapped an SVT engine and trans into. When I tried to start it nothing was happening and figured out that the PATS system was stopping every thing. It seems like the only way to use it or any of the SVT PCMs is with an SCT tune that disables the PATS system. Can the PATS system on the RJL1 be disabled like the latter PCM's that had the module inside the PCM? Out of curiosity I was wondering if any one knew what the signal is that the external PATS module sends to the PCM for the RJL1 to see if there was a cheaper way to disable the PATS system?

Do you have a key for the computer that you got the parts from? If so you can take the chip out of the key and attach it to the PATs antenna, this will basically disable the system also. Also if you have the key you can just program a new key too.

Attaching the "pill" to the antenna ring probably wouldn't work, because the car didn't have PATS to begin with... Unless the PATS equipment was also swapped over, including the antenna ring.

--If you still have access to the donor car, make sure to get all the PATS stuff. The PATS can be reprogrammed. You can buy blank keys with a chip online ($7-ish), and have them cut at a local key shop. A tuner can help with the reprogramming. May be expensive.

--As mentioned, if you have the key/keys to the donor car, you can reprogram it yourself to new keys that you can buy online, or remove the pill, and use it directly, without any sort of programming. This would be more work for you, but seems like the best, option if available.

--If you no longer have access to the donor car, it sounds like the best thing to do would be disable it, via a tune/reprogram. may be expensive. I'm actually not sure if you can disable it, without having the external PATS module present though...

--FYI, A $35 3-day subscription to the Ford FMP software, and a Mongoose Cable would allow you to do the reprogramming yourself, very easily, without having any original keys. Sometimes you can find the cable on ebay or ford forums for cheap. You would need to buy the uncut chipped key online, and have it cut to match your current key, and have all the PATS gear installed. This may be just as, or more expensive than any of the above options, but I thought it might be worth mentioning, in case you know someone nearby, that has a mongoose cable.

I have a mongoose cable. Where are you located? :)

Thanks for the response Hylix I decided to go ahead and buy a SCT X4 and a tune for disabling the PATS system, since I don't want to try and cut up the body wiring harness to add in the PATS system both at the junkyard and in my car and still need to get the keys programmed. I'll just use the SFG0 ecu that I have as well, since its a little newer and has the internal PATS system.

I was hoping that the external PATS module would have a simple way of activating the RJL1 PCM like a relay or something simple like that. If any one has a E0 and had the time and interest in finding a way to check this they could try to see what the PATS module sends to the PCM pretty easy since the two wires that go from the PATS module to the PCM are spliced into the OBD II port (C3000) Pins 2 and 10 from what I see in the factory wiring manual. But I don't know if it might cause some damage and don't want to ask anyone to do so for me or wait for it to happen.

Well I got tunes for the SFG0 ECU one that had the PATS switch turned on and one with it turned off and the fuel pump still won't prime and the injectors don't seem to be working. I connected a test light to the PATS controlled ground for the ignition switch, and the positive battery terminal and the light doesn't come on when I turned the ignition to the run or start positions. So the PATS system doesn't seem to be defeatable since I did this with both tunes. Has anyone actually had a tune that disabled the PATSystem? The only way this seems possible to me at this point is if you would still need to have the transciever/antenna still connected to the PCM since both tunes seemed to set body code B1681 transciever not detected. I was at least able to get the engine to run when I sprayed starter fluid in the intake so the ignition system and compression are good. It looks like the next step is to go to a pre PATS ECU and modify the engine harness and get the tune put on that for the SVT engine.

My 2000 SE had PATS. I used to carry an un-chipped key in my wallet because my alarm automatically locked the doors and rolled the windows up, and I've had many people (including a Ford dealer, who had to cut an un-chipped key from my VIN#, that ended up in my wallet :D ) lock my keys in the car.

Anyway, I did test disabling PATS on that car, and it worked fine to start with the un-chipped key.

I wonder if there is something you're missing, like not only disabling PATS, but disabling the check for the transceiver also? I don't recall such a thing, But I'm using Ford software to disable PATS, not SCT.

I'm parting out the '00 SE, if you need anything let me know. I took a look at the PATS antenna wiring, and it's fairly well wrapped up in some larger harnesses that would need to be hacked apart. I'd be more inclined to swap out the entire dash harness, and engine bay harness to fix this mess you're in.

Thanks Hylix, for the testimonial on being able to disable PATS with the Ford software I'm not sure if the SCT can do it yet I've just been chasing my tail more recently as detailed below.

Well I tried temporarily wiring in a transceiver into the engine harness to see if the PATS system just needed to see that the transceiver was there to allow the engine to run and it doesn't appear that is the case. Again I switched between both tunes and the fuel pump wouldn't prime and the PCM now gives me the B1600 body code. Apparently this code means that the PCM doesn't see a RFID chip from a programmed key.

Then I looked at the wiring manual for the earlier 1997 PCM code EXE1 and found that the fuel vapor system is at least a little different in that there is another control devise for the 1998 up system, and the fuel injectors and some other wires at the PCM connector would also need to be shuffled around as well. So it looks like swapping that would be more of a PITA than putting the antenna in and having a Ford dealer program a few keys for me. Just sucks since it means that I'm gonna have to get the rest of the car put together to get it towed to the dealership now.

That reminds me that after asking Don Lasota for help with disabling the PATS system again he told me to contact SCT to have them help me figure out what was going on I sent them an Email. I got a response form them saying that I should download there support software so that they could connect to the tuner and car over the internet and call them so that they could help me. So that is what I did, and when I call them they told me that they will not help modify the PATS system at all. They told me to contact my tuner again or go to the dealer if the PCM was locked by PATS. Great Customer service.:wtf: I just want to get the car to run is it really that difficult?

Back