• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mazda 6 Supercharger Build Thread

You mentioned a roots style blower. I don't know anything about it or where it came from. I just ran across this one day.
ST250super-charged_zps77df00e2.jpg

i remember a discussion about this type of setup ( NECO i think) .... questionable whether the camshaft and bearings can take the extra stress from the SC unit ..... G.

Yup, there were a few versions of the "Eliminator". One had a centrifugal supercharger and the other used a Eaton roots supercharger exactly like the one above. I have both the magazines they were in (Sport Compact Car). The Eaton roots setup above received rave reviews. They said it accelerated 50-70 like a tomahawk cruise missile. It was faster 50-70mph than any car they had ever tested up to that point. Obviously, it was traction limited down low so 0-60 wasn't a high point. They said it was so traction limited that it would turn better 1/4 mile times if it was started in 2nd gear.

More info on the vortech setup: http://www.eurotuner.com/featuredvehicles/22985_ford_mercury_concept_cars/

More info on the roots setup: http://www.newcougar.org/forums/videos-pictures/27327-cougar-eliminator-3.html#post281819

.. i guess engines are so cheap now, that you could risk the camshaft assembly failing without being too concerned.

I think that mazda forum solution that you posted would be good, if you lost the AC pump and ran the SC at full engine speed on the accessory belt.

Interested in the TB before the SC arrangement, wondering if this reduces parasitic losses, since the SC isn't compressing air all the time ....G.

.. i guess engines are so cheap now, that you could risk the camshaft assembly failing without being too concerned.

I think that mazda forum solution that you posted would be good, if you lost the AC pump and ran the SC at full engine speed on the accessory belt ....G.

The original Eaton setup ran off of a jackshaft like the Vortech kit which went across the motor to the pulley side. It didn't run off the cam pulley. I guess it's hard to tell in the picture above what it's running off of. The jackshaft may not be installed in that picture or it may be a different setup that does in fact run off of the the cam pulley.

July is the only one in 2000 they don't list .... i did manage to find it on oldmags.com and there isn't a cougar on the cover.

I suppose the money shot will be a picture of the driveshaft and the pulley and belt at the SC end.

Your description of the 50 - 70mph acceleration is exactly what i'm looking for from my build :laugh: ...G.

See above, I listed the issue. It's August 2000 and it's on the cover in the upper right. I also attached most of the article to the posts above.

yeah i see it now you point it out .. thanks for all that.

I like the triple headlights on that car and the OEM color schemes of the engine bays.....my taste exactly ... G.

yeah i see it now you point it out .. thanks for all that.

I like the triple headlights on that car too ... G.

The headlights are the normal Cougar headlights but they painted a cover around the bulges. They are the high, low and turn signal lights. The amber portion to the right is just a reflector.

reminds me of my morettes.

attachment.php

I wonder who did this install ^^^, because the Paxton Automotive mentioned in the article below, talks about COP and the timing advance issues (dwell ??)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/tuners/112_9912_1999_paxton_cougar/

Stranger still, they both seem to use the driveshaft method .. G.

p.s. this

Controlling the spark advance in the coil-on-plug Duratec system was also a challenge. To prevent engine-damaging detonation, ignition timing must be retarded 0.75 degree per pound of boost. No off-the-shelf solution exists to do this with six separate coils. Since Paxton's competitors may still be seeking the answer, the company wouldn't reveal its solution.

seems to have been the issue the guy on the mazda 6 forum had .... does anyone know if/how it was resolved ??

Back