• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Turbo Zetec

BobbyCalhoun

New CEG'er
Hey guys, just curious. Can a stock 96 contour zetec hold any boost reliably?

I just rebuild mine for use as a track car motor an I want to go the forced induction route.

I'm willing to do work to the motor as far as replacing the lower end with better materials. But I'm only going for about 200- 250 HP at the wheels.

What do you guys think?

It's cast iron. Of course it will hold boost.

I saw CBMan put down nearly 300 hp in his Zetec Cougar a couple of years ago. And Striker2 was doing much the same.

I was talking more about the internals.

How much power has everybody gotten from boosting stock internals?

Really? How much psi could I run?

I'm gonna go grab a turbo from the local junkyard that fits that range and make a manifold for it and go from there.

Also striker2, what are you using to tune your motor and how are you feeding oil to it?

really you are better off buying a new or freshly rebuilt turbo. any used turbo from the JY you are going to want to have inspected and rebuilt which is something that should be left to a shop with the balancing equipment to make sure its balanced properly (they spin at upwards of 100,000 RPM).

used options would be a TD04 13T or 15G from a volvo or Subaru, or a T3 from an older Ford 2.3L
New a good choice would be a T3 50 or 60 trim.

PSI you can run will depend on the exact turbo you decide to use.

oil feed can be taken from the side of the head just below the coil pack.

tuning can be done a few ways but I used SCT flash tuning via an Xcal.

Hey man thanks for all the help, I think the T3 is my best option, I can get them pretty cheap haha. So If I go with that what are we thinking like 7-8 psi?

And I finally found the thread you made with your turbo setup, Where did you get the manifold?

Also those #42 injecters? Will I need those too?

Back