• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Possible twin turbo questions

crackerican69

Veteran CEG'er
I had some questions regarding an idea i had this past weekend. I read the FAQs and many of the threads, as well as some online research. I have been contemplating going FI for a while now, and may have finally decided to do it. But i was thinking, as opposed to running the standard T3/4 kit, using 2 smaller turbos off of each manifold. The reason i even thought of it is because my friend is helping me make a set of custom equal length headers, and figured if it can be done, then might as well mount the flanges during the process. My idea consists of running 2 smaller turbos, say off of something 1.5, 1.8 or 2.0 turbo engines, one from each bank. I am already 3L PM swapped so i wouldnt think the smaller size would be an issue if run like this. My assumption is it would clear up some space under the hood that a normal single turbo would. Its also not my intention on running high boost or have a lot of lag if at all possible. Im also able to make a lot of parts through my job as well, which would help keep costs down to a minimum. If anyone would be so kind as to maybe point out some flaws or provide advice, that would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

I believe it's the space issue that's most important. There's so little room on both side of the engine. Maybe the 2 turbochargers would fit under the engine, but then, road clearance could be a problem.

Exactly. Your desire for equal length primaries on the exhaust headers is likely to end up putting the turbos beside the oil pan, and while this isn't a bad thing, it would absolutely require to use of oil scavenge pump(s) to get oil out of the turbo bearing cartridges and back into the oil sump. Unless pump scavenged, turbos need to be gravity drained to above the sump oil level. Keep in mind that you also have to make provisions for exhaust gas exits from the turbines to the Y-pipe, and intake and discharge plumbing to the turbo compressors. There's not a lot of room down there, and not only does space and plumbing become a problem, but so does managing the heat issues.

What is up with this damned compose interface and why do I keep getting an error pop-up box?

So lets say instead of running the turbos at the bottom of the manifolds, i put them in place of the pre-cats. They would be above the oil pump, gravity drained, negate the road clearance issue (which wouldnt be there because id try to keep them level or above the lowest point of the subframe), i could still do equal length shorties into the turbo although not necessary, and i can still use a heat shield to protect it for the higher temps of the radiator and engine block.

So lets say instead of running the turbos at the bottom of the manifolds, i put them in place of the pre-cats. They would be above the oil pump, gravity drained, negate the road clearance issue (which wouldnt be there because id try to keep them level or above the lowest point of the subframe), i could still do equal length shorties into the turbo although not necessary, and i can still use a heat shield to protect it for the higher temps of the radiator and engine block.

Theoretically yes, but would there be enough space for the turbochargers? How big are the turbochargers do you plan to use?

BTW, the front (radiator) side of the engine seems to have more room than the back (firewall) side. Would this be an issue?

hcl...im not 100% sure what size i would go with. I havent givem that too much thought as of yet because i was still unsure if it could be "reasonably" accomplished. Id have to get measurements and go from there. See whats on the market so to speak.

2000ZxT...Thank you! I'll check that out now. I have a lot of resources at my disposal as of now and working a ton of OT and will be for at least the next 3 weeks so the funds might be there too! Or even starting to set aside

While searching, i found some turbos. More specifically, 2014-2016 1.5 Fusions. They look small enough. And i think with enough time and patience they might work.

Crewchiefpro...im not looking for crazy amounts of power. Just a little extra and trying to save some space if at all possible.

You want a pair of T25's to match the engine properly (if its relatively stock)... don't for one moment think twins will have less lag than a single turbo, if both are spec'd properly this will NOT be the case.

I used to run a pair of small twin turbos on my 3.0L V6, I now run a Massive single and due to proper specing it has less lag. Lag will be dependant on your engine management, if you simply play with the stock system don't expect it to be as sweet or easy to use the power as if you put a proper engine management on it with decent boost and lag strategies.... oh and don't confuse lag with power band.

I personally think equal length headers will be pointless when the car is turbocharged.

Theoritically. v6 TT from a newer gen ecoboosted car might bolt up. But space is questionable, and i wouldn't do it.... One is a big enough pain in the dick.

If you want more power, mod it and tune it n/a. You blew your diff on a junkyard 3L, what do you think will happen with boost? I know and i'm right on the fence of ditching mine.

Theoritically. v6 TT from a newer gen ecoboosted car might bolt up. But space is questionable, and i wouldn't do it.... One is a big enough pain in the dick.

If you want more power, mod it and tune it n/a. You blew your diff on a junkyard 3L, what do you think will happen with boost? I know and i'm right on the fence of ditching mine.

Funny you mention that...i did just that 2 weeks ago. Blew my diff after 3000 miles on my 105K junkyard 3L... Never had an issue with my last swap though. But with 200K im not surprised

Back