• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

V-9 Vortech install for #3544

Sorry I've not posted in a while, but nothing much happening. Thus far no luck on getting the cam profile; Billy lost the data card. He says he'll contact the shop that did the head work but who knows.......I don't blame him - not his car anymore.

At this point my goal - considering I know the CR is too high, even IF the DCR is low enough - is to budget more. Because I know I have a "keeper" CSVT here, my immediate goals have changed. My thinking now is first to do a basic tune locally to be sure the plugs/wires and ECU are in good order. Next, I've located a dyno tuner with some CSVT experience (still about 5 hours away, but still "local") that I think I'll work with to see if I can get a little more out of my current engine, which I think has more potential. It's a good hybrid, with a nasty top end that is unique compared to most 3.0's due to the stage 2 heads. Why not enjoy the car as is a while longer; after all this is a really strong 3.0 car with a built tranny/Quaife.....

Long term, I want to budget for a proper build with forged internals. The dyno tune will reveal a bit more data about what's going on, ie., torque/hp curves including low/high points, etc. Perhaps then I'll feel more comfortable with whether these heads could just be bolted straight back onto the "new" block - complete with low compression pistons.

Considering how much power and torque this engine with FI will make, I think another dream of mine could be realized by considering the AWD conversion I've mentioned before, so again it's back to budgeting. I used to lust after owning an Audi Quattro back in the day, so this would be the best of both worlds. I'm really worried about screwing up the perfect handling I've achieved with all the suspension mods I've done, so again there's nothing wrong with having a little patience and just enjoying the car as is for a while longer.

I love the way this car rotates through an apex, and adding a rear diff - probably with a limited slip - may ruin this handling trait I currently love. I had a WRX with LSD and this thing was such a pusher. Dialing it out was nearly impossible. Subaru even came up with a "fix" for this for the STi, but from what I've read even the torque distribution control didn't eliminate the understeering tendency completely. Thus far nobody, including PRT, knows how to keep or make a LSD for the front diff once the AWD conversion is done. Always compromises!

Its just a Contour. Do what you want to it and beat the piss out of it till it blows up then move on to something else.

Back