Custom Exhaust for More HP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Exhaust for More HP?

Has anyone experimented with bigger (diameter wise) exhausts under the V6 Contour? I may be needing to replace mine soon so figured I'd look into the options. I know some exhaust guys who have done custom work for me in the past without charging a ton for it. I wondered if it's worth helping the flow a little even if just from the y pipe back.

Short answer: Yes. 2.5 inch coming out of the cat, going back to the Y split then into 2.25 inch quasi duals is what I have. Some have true duals.Some guys have maybe 3" catback to the rear y split, but I don't figure you need that with a 2.5 NA engine. Better flow mufflers may be worth say 1 hp or so by themselves. All kinds of research was done on this topic 10 years ago or more. I hated the stock y pipe, even optimized and msds y pipe is not much better. I'd rec you look at the simple design of the BAT y pipe, same as what SHO Shop used to do, using a 2 into 1 cat. I feel that y pipe set up was worth like 4 hp by itself, more when used with other mods, optimized stock was maybe worth .5 or 1 hp by itself. There are standard 2 into 1 cats out there, maybe matched up with some simple pipes from the manifolds you can do the same thing for a competitive (cheap?) price. The original Mr. CEG, founder Lance, had the Sho Shop Y as did I.
    MSDS, SHO-shop Y, 2.5" catback; xcal2; 63mm TB, K&N 3530, pud heatshield; Koni struts, Aussie bar; THMS forks, Quaife; DMD; UD pullies; 94A poly mnts. 92.03 trap speed. SF/MB '98 SVT E0 #3159 8/21/97 236K miles. Was a witch's ashtray

Comment

Thanks for the input. I don't want to go crazy or anything since it's just the automatic SE sport model and I'm happy enough as it is performance-wise BUT if/when it needs replaced I'll consider going bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by dchawk81 View Post
        Thanks for the input. I don't want to go crazy or anything since it's just the automatic SE sport model and I'm happy enough as it is performance-wise BUT if/when it needs replaced I'll consider going bigger.
        Honestly, the most cost effective route would be to get a used SVT exhaust in good condition.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #259
        Mods: Port-Matched 3L, Magnaflow Exhaust, MSDS Headers, Torsen T-2 LSD, Fidanza Flywheel, Spec 3+ Clutch, 18" OZ Superleggras, Baer BBK, BAT Suspension, Mystique Tail

Comment

Originally posted by nasty1 View Post
          Honestly, the most cost effective route would be to get a used SVT exhaust in good condition.
          That's not a bad idea but truth be told I have this anti-used compulsion. I cringe a little like fingernails to chalkboard when I have no choice but to buy a used part so if I do need a new exhaust I'll go with all new. This way I can write down in my ledger that it was replaced on X date with Y mileage and know for certain it had no life before that.

Comment

Thanks again for your input guys. It's all moot now since someone bought the car a couple days ago.

Comment

Working...
            X