2 Bolt Cat vs 3 Bolt Cat Dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Bolt Cat vs 3 Bolt Cat Dimensions

My SVT (98.5 E1) came with a 2 bolt cat, while the 99-00 came with a 3 bolt ... My question is this: Is the main cat and the pipe extension combo that connects to the cat-back the same length??

Here are the pictures of the two for comparison purposes:

The 2 bolt Cat configuration seems to be much straighter and longer than the 3 bolt which has that weird bend before it connects to the cat back.

I would assume that the lengths are identical as the SVTs all came with the same cat back exhausts ... Please advise
    -Milan-

www.mmf-law.net

2 Bolt vs 3 Bolt Cats

My SVT (98.5 E1) came with a 2 bolt cat, while the 99-00 came with a 3 bolt ... My question is this: Is the main cat and the pipe extension combo that connects to the cat-back the same length??

Here are the pictures of the two for comparison purposes:

The 2 bolt Cat configuration seems to be much straighter and longer than the 3 bolt which has that weird bend before it connects to the cat back.

I would assume that the lengths are identical as the SVTs all came with the same cat back exhausts ... Please advise.
    -Milan-

www.mmf-law.net

Comment

No. The 3 bolt is shorter and uses a flex pipe to connect the cat section to the Y. The 2 bolt is longer and uses a fiber donut gasket that connects the cat section to the Y. The 2 bolt Y has a raised area the donut fits around for a snug fit.

Overall length between the 2 is the same (with the 3 bolt flex pipe), but I'm not sure if the angles they connect to the cat-back are the same.

Comment

Just a point of clearification, the 3-bolt y-pipe was on all years equiped with an ATX. The 5-spd cars got them in 2k, or late 99, perhaps at the same time the fuel system changed from return to returnless.

As noted overall they are the same length and would believe they are interchangable as a whole setup.
        - 12 Focus SE
        - 99 Contour SeVT <- 3L/NPG Turbo
        - 2k Contour SVT - #2137

Comment

no need for two posts. Lets keep all the information together.
          - 12 Focus SE
          - 2k Contour SVT - #2137

Comment

Brapple...the 2 bolt Y pipe has a thick raised "lip" which extends out 1/2" that the donut gasket goes on to allow for some flex. I think that lip would interfere with a later 3 bolt flex pipe...which would need a flush mounting surface.

Comment

Originally posted by captastic View Post
              Brapple...the 2 bolt Y pipe has a thick raised "lip" which extends out 1/2" that the donut gasket goes on to allow for some flex. I think that lip would interfere with a later 3 bolt flex pipe...which would need a flush mounting surface.

Yes ... like I said they are interchangeable on a whole ... two bolt y-pipe has to go with a 2 bolt cat, etc. The 3 bolt flex pipe can not bolt to the 2 bolt cat ...
              - 12 Focus SE
              - 2k Contour SVT - #2137

Comment

Originally posted by BrApple View Post
                As noted overall they are the same length and would believe they are interchangable as a whole setup.
                This is correct. I've swapped a couple cars to/from 3-bolt/2-bolt Cat and Y assemblies.
                99 SVT "BLKOUT2" - PRT street driven track #&$% - 13.904 at 102.58 | 98 SVT - PRT RWD conversion project car
                00 ROUSH Cougar - SOLD | 02 SVTF - New toy and R&D car. Future RWD?

Owner/operator PRT www.prtautosport.com
                Follow development of CDW-27 performance parts: http://www.facebook.com/PRTautosport

Comment

Originally posted by Pole120 View Post
                  This is correct. I've swapped a couple cars to/from 3-bolt/2-bolt Cat and Y assemblies.
                  I concur as I also have swapped out the assembly on my car when I used the 3 bolt flanged WR y-pipe. All you need is the flex joint and 3 bolt cat pipe.
                  -Mike
                  If you are wondering where the avatar came from look here... Link
                  98 SVT Contour - HoK TruBlue|CF roof|#49/6535 DOB 3/25/97|550whp here I come|Follow my extremely slow 3L/turbo build here Link
                  85 Camaro - 1969 350ci, 503BHP

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

Working...
                  X