Does our exhaust need a flex pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does our exhaust need a flex pipe?

I'm tired of replacing mine. This is the 2nd one to start leaking. Going to have the resonator replaced soon, would putting solid pipe in for the flex pipe damage anything?
    ~Ryan
    2012 Subaru WRX
    1999 T-Red SVT Contour #1701 / 2760
    OZ Ultraleggera 17's, BAT Kit, MSDS, BAT High Flow Cat & Y-pipe, B&M Short Throw, Taylor Thundervolts, Green filter, Pudmunkie heat shield

The engine rocks forward and back under torque load. You need a flex pipe or you'll crack your flanges.
    2000 3.0 Roush Cougar
    2013 Focus ST
    2002 MINI Cooper S
    2008 Mustang Bullitt # 5389

Comment

if you have completely solid mounts like i do the engine doesnt move so no flex pipe need because of that, but if you think of the entire system, if you dont have something that flexes it will just crack from moving around under the car
      2001 2.5 Cougar with some mods out of commission for now
      1999 SC3L Cougar with more mods
      2014 Ecoboost SE Fusion with floormats and mudflaps!
      '08 Mustang Bullitt #5389 sold to B3NN3TT 4/12/13

Comment

there are two exhaust designs for the contour, one has a flex pipe and one used a donut gasket with a 2 bolt flange. get a 2-bolt y-pipe and cat and you can convert over.
        - 12 Focus SE
        - 99 Contour SeVT <- 3L/NPG Turbo
        - 2k Contour SVT - #2137

Comment

I'm running a BAT y-pipe. I have a poly rear motor mount and all will be changed to poly soon.
          ~Ryan
          2012 Subaru WRX
          OZ Ultraleggera 17's, BAT Kit, MSDS, BAT High Flow Cat & Y-pipe, B&M Short Throw, Taylor Thundervolts, Green filter, Pudmunkie heat shield

Comment

Put a solid link engine stabilizer in the front. That will take care of it. Especially with your poly rear mount.
            1976 Honda CB550- future cafe racer
            1998 Contour SVT #393- WRSW intake, platinum burners, d/s rotors, tzt toe arms, poly bushings, solid link engine stabilizer, E1's
            1995 Probe GT- klze, intake, short throw. *SOLD*

Comment

not having a flexpipe increase NVH very much. getting stiffer roll mounts however will fix them constantly breaking!
              2002 Cougar
              http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z...roject%20Grip/
              2000 SVT Contour
              http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z...SVT%20Contour/

Comment

It's becoming a track/autocross car. Bring on the NVH :)
                ~Ryan
                2012 Subaru WRX

Comment

Working...
                X