Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hole in muffler. leave it, straight pipe, or thrush turbo muffler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hole in muffler. leave it, straight pipe, or thrush turbo muffler?

I have a '99 Contour Zetec MTX with 186,xxx miles on it.
    The car is stock except for a short ram air intake. The muffler on the car looks like an aftermarket muffler. The inlet of the muffler looks like its a little bigger than the rest of the exhaust. And it now has a 1"-2" hole in the bottom which is making the exhaust louder now. If it gets any louder, it might be too loud.
    If I cut off the muffler and replace it with a straight pipe, will it be really loud? I searched YouTube but I could only find one video of a Contour with stock exhaust with no muffler. Its hard to tell what it sounds like, the speakers on my computer suck.
    I like the exhaust to have a little rumble to it but I don't want it to be too loud either. And I don't want it to sound like a Civic.

What about a Thrush turbo muffler with cost about $30 at autozone.

Im on a tight budget right now. So I need to keep it kind of cheap. If I had my way, I would get the exhaust off of a SVT Contour but that will have to wait I guess.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

I'd maybe hit up a junkyard and look for a stock muffler in decent shape from the axle back? I guess I'm not even sure where the exhaust splits on a Zetec Contour, but if you could get that whole section in decent shape it wouldn't require any welding/hangers/adapters/clamps. That or go to a muffler shop and get them to weld on the cheapest normal muffler they have (or thrush turbo). I don't think you would like the sound with a straight pipe.

Where are you located?
    2009 Honda...

Comment

Right now I live in Blaine, mn. But we have to move by May 1st. We just have no clue where yet.

Comment

the exhaust splits all the way up at the flex section (atleast on mine it did) and depending on what state you live in a straight pipe, or that hole is illegal and won't pass safety/emissions. i know where i live it won't pass safety like that. just throw a cheap muffler on it so you don't have any issues with noise and put a better one on when you have the money would be my advice.
        98.5 t-red Zetec mtx
        207,000 and counting
        i love bring my car into class, it give a new "special circumstance" every day.

Comment

In Minnesota we don't have emissions.

Im wondering how one svt muffler would sound? I mean if I could find just a driver side svt muffler and either have it welded on or clamped on after the axle.

I also found a SVT focus factory lunchbox muffler cheap. Does anyone know if that would work on a Contour and if the stock exhaust size is the same/close on both cars? Any idea how it would sound on a Zetec Contour?

Any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
          X